Menu

Am I going to overwhelm this child?

I've started thinking of next year for ds who will be in 7th (more like 8th in many ways). I've been thinking of having him do an online TOG class - history, an online Potter's school English class (writing, grammar, and literature discussion - the grammar might be a lot of review), Algebra 2 Saxon, and BJU's earth and science with DVD teacher (?). With that schedule just for starters, am I going to totally overwhelm this child? He would also do Second Form Latin at half speed and a possible Logic course of some sort. He's been doing just fine with the subjects listed in my signature so I think he could handle it, but does this sound like a good recipe for homeschool burnout?

Beth

Wow, well, DS certainly sounds advanced!

My concern would be that he's taking not only a math that normally would not be taken for 3-4 years later but also his first time with online courses -- and not just one, but TWO outside classes. AND, both online courses look to be pretty time- and work- intensive subjects (TOG history, and English [literature/writing/grammar]). Plus Latin and Logic, which will require some pretty heavy brain workout. That looks like it would be a pretty heavy academic load for a 10th grader, let alone a 7th grader... JMO! You know your student best. :)

But, esp. because online classes are a *whole* other animal, you might really want to think this through carefully. Outside classes tie you to someone else's schedule, and they end up becoming the priority since they are grades and timing that YOU no longer control. Below are some questions to think through to help you decide what's best for your family! Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Ability (in writing): How does DS do with writing? Can he turn out a large volume of writing weekly fairly easily? How much is going to be required from the TOG and English classes (I'm guessing a fair amount, based on what I've seen from friends taking Potter School classes, and from the rigorousness of TOG curriculum).

Ability (in reading): Both TOG AND Literature classes require a lot of reading, often at a fairly high level. How will DS handle the volume of reading? Does he read fairly quickly and comprehend?

Motivation: How does DS feel about doing large amounts of reading and writing? Does he enjoy it? Does DS like History? Literature? Latin? Logic? Did he request these classes? What's his response to your proposed schedule/choice of classes? If DS does not care for History or Literature, I'd be *very* cautious about putting him into an online class for a disliked subject as young as middle school -- it's a bit different when the student is older, and when it's a requirement for graduation.

Self-Disicpline: Online classes require a lot of self-discipline. How much work does DS do solo now? Does he like working independently, or does he prefer working along with the family? Are you willing/able to work alongside him if needed? Are you going to have to "ride herd" on him to get it done? How is DS about scheduling his work or pacing himself? About studying for tests? About getting longer papers/writing done?

Balance: To prevent burn-out or stress-overload, be sure to not over schedule, to do a variety of types of subjects/activities, and esp. to include things of DS's personal interest and enjoyment. What does DS get to do for fun, or school that is enjoyable for him? Is he going to have regular "down" time just for himself for recovery -- to daydream, fiddle with Legos or a hobby, to work on personal project, etc.?

Flexibility: What's your escape hatch? In other words, just in case this ends up being too overwhelming, what are you willing/able to do to change your schooling mid-year? How feasible would it be to withdraw from one or both online classes in case that is the problem area? Can "Plan B" be reducing the home load -- slow to half speed, or set aside entirely for the semester or year, the Alg. 2? Set aside the Logic?

He's doing algebra 1 right now and takes under an hour to complete the homework and teaching. He is already taking a tog online class and has been handling the workload very well. He's been reading the tog literature also and we've been discussing it every other book. We pulled back on Latin to half speed just because it gave him extra time to memorize the vocab and declensions. Latin is something I'm not thrilled with and can see that being dropped for something better. He's taking notes, learning how to study for tests, and writing up labs for General Science. I think he can handle it. He has plenty of time for outside interests.

I guess if I needed to pull back, it would be to take the science at half speed or drop Latin. I'm unsure about how a DVD teacher with 1/2 hour lecture would work every day. He doesn't have a lot if passion for any particular subject. The tog doesnt have the writing of papers. Ds takes enough notes with reference points to be able to have a decent conversation about what he's learned during his online class. He likes to come up with business plans and run with it. He's an entrepreneur at heart.

Beth

My "solid plan" makes me wonder if this is a crazy path. I have no problem giving control away - ds does well independently. I need to farm out writing since that is my definite weakness and the TOG gives him dialectic discussion. I guess my main concern is the BJU science with DVD - if that would be the thing to send him over the edge between doable and overwhelming.

Beth

My "solid plan" makes me wonder if this is a crazy path. I have no problem giving control away - ds does well independently. I need to farm out writing since that is my definite weakness and the TOG gives him dialectic discussion. I guess my main concern is the BJU science with DVD - if that would be the thing to send him over the edge between doable and overwhelming.

Beth

As long as you remember you are still early in the game (for example, you're not trying to frantically complete required credits in 12th grade! ;)), AND as long as you also remember that it is VERY OKAY to drop something that is not working at this stage, I think you'll be fine! There you go: if you need permission to relax a little, there it is. ;)

Honestly: if the BJU science flops -- drop it! No big deal! Your DS will only be 7th grade; it wouldn't destroy his academics to not have science for one year in middle school -- esp. when he is doing advanced work almost everywhere else.

Or, another option, if the BJU science flops and you can't bear for him to entirely drop science: move from formal to informal study of science -- no tests, no note-taking, just informally enjoy sections of the book and DVD and experiments that interest DS. Or, even more informally, just enjoy a bunch of Mythbuster episodes and some science kits. Really! I'm always amazed at how many science concepts our DSs learned from that show and from doing hands-on experiments.

It will be okay. :) Warmly, Lori D.

You've got 9 months between now and when you get all this up and running, so it's not likely to be a problem. You HAVE to plan what looks like a bit of a stretch now so it fits when you get there. It will probably be fine.

On the BJU earth science, they put out a new 4th edition text this year, and I think they're re-recording the classes. The current teacher is Mrs. Vick. I *think* they said the new teacher is Mr. Harmon. From watching them you can get a sense of their style and difficulty. It doesn't sound like either would be a big deal for him.

Yes, latin is one of those things that is less than valuable for some people. ;) You might like to pursue some business options for him. I don't know what they'd be. Actually, there was a series on micro-economics that somebody at the convention was selling this past year. Dd thought it was great. Or he might like to get in with an event (4H, whatever) and be treasurer. Or... Maybe let him start reading Dave Ramsey stuff or learning about the stock market? He doesn't have to have a passion for regular school subjects. His passion may be something totally different. Accountants typically take quite a bit of math (through calc for their CPA exam), so it fits with what you're saying.

I just realized that the BJU DVDs are for lease only. That changes things quite a bit. A program that I thought could be used for multiple children (thus justifying the cost) is now impractical. I'm not liking that they do that! I thought a science class of sorts would be a nice addition, but not at that cost for a lease. Am I correct in this thinking?

Beth

Wondered when you were gonna catch that. ;) That's why you can't just try it and drop, cuz it's a stinkin' expensive option to drop! Two things. One, a year ago and again this year, during the month of December they did a $99 deal, where you could get the online version for $99. If you don't need something till next December and happen to have the books already, that can work out really well for you. Also, they let you combine courses with friends and among your kids to get a grade level at the discounted price. So instead of paying $300-400 for one course, you can get say 6 courses for the price of a grade level. Also sounds steep, but if you need 3 and you have a friend who needs 3, that can work out really well. Also remember that when you do the dvd/online stuff with BJU, that price INCLUDES the materials. Not the $99 obviously, because that's meant as a completer for people who bought the books and realized they were in over their heads. Usually a subject kit is $150. Price 'em, but they're expensive. And with the earth science, you'd be getting new 4th edition. That means you'd be hard-pressed to find it used and would have optimal resale value in a year with it being the newest edition. So then the price of the videos isn't so bad, if you think of it that way.

Everybody has their pricepoint. It's just a way to think through it. We're looking forward to using the videos for the physical science that I got with the $99 completer deal, but it's by NO means necessary or unworkable to do the BJU science without them. Just depends on the dc.

I just realized that the BJU DVDs are for lease only. That changes things quite a bit. A program that I thought could be used for multiple children (thus justifying the cost) is now impractical.

Since you're already using Apologia General Science, and DS is familiar with it, could you just move on to Apologia Physical Science, spread it out over two years (7th and 8th grades), and purchase the Rusty Hughes DVD (or Red Wagon Tutorial DVD), to make it all a bit more independent in usage? Bonus: all of this CAN be reused with subsequent students -- and/or easily resold as it is a widely-used program.