Menu

need some opinions on the "extras" for a cat's spay

HappyLady

My new cat is going in to get spayed this week. My vet sent me forms to sign saying what I want and don't want included in the surgery. I would have preferred them to either include all this or don't offer it because it's hard for me to say, "No, don't do that, even though you say it could save her life if something goes wrong." Ugh!

Anyway, are all of these options necessary -

IV fluids, IV catheter (this is what they said would "provide an immediate access to the vein for administration of potential life-saving medications"), pre-anesthetic screen (she was a stray that I took in, but I've had her for 3 months now and she seems fine, her kittens that I took in as well seem fine, and they told me she seemed very healthy when I took her in for a checkup when I decided to bring her into my home).

I'd prefer not to do those 3 things if I don't have to because they add up to about $150 more for the spay, but I almost feel guilty saying, "No, don't give my cat the best quality care during surgery," you know?

Any thoughts on this?

My sister is a vet tech (for 10 years now) and she's always told me that for a young, healthy animal is not usually necessary. For older pets, absolutely. I don't do it on young animals. That's not saying something couldn't go wrong, it's just less likely.

That's good to know. She looks very young and the vet said based on her teeth she appeared to only be about 2. That's about what I thought she was too (or even a bit younger).

I did lose a young kitty once during a routine spay (her lungs collapsed). If I could afford it, I would do it for a female, especially. It is a much more invasive procedure for a female. That is only because of my one bad experience, though. I would not feel guilty for NOT doing it, if you choose not to. If it was really all that necessary, the vet would require it, I think.

I did lose a young kitty once during a routine spay (her lungs collapsed). If I could afford it, I would do it for a female, especially. It is a much more invasive procedure for a female. That is only because of my one bad experience, though. I would not feel guilty for NOT doing it, if you choose not to. If it was really all that necessary, the vet would require it, I think.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Normally for my pets I do whatever is necessary to keep them healthy (you're talking about someone who spent $1000 on 2 sick guinea pigs..... seriously - LOL) but I'm so annoyed with vets that want to add this and that onto your bill and make you feel guilty when you don't do all the "extras." As it is they're charging me $50 for her "exam" even though she was just there 3 months ago! I realize, obviously, she could have contacted something or her health could have changed, but every single time I've taken a pet to the vet I get charged the exam fee. When my guinea pigs were sick there were times when they went in a couple times in one week and I was still charged the exam fee!

Ugh, sorry to vent, but if I ever totaled up how much I spent at the vet I think I'd just about cry. :rant: So I'd like to start looking at all these fees and try and figure out what's really necessary and what's not.

I'm a vet tech. If you have the money (as in it isn't going to cut into the grocery budget or anything), I'd do it. At least the IV fluids and catheter. My reasoning is that it isn't just for emergencies. having them on fluids means they process the anesthesia faster and wake up faster and recover faster. That said, if it will be a hardship don't do it and don't feel guilty. Just be glad you are getting her spayed.

I would test for FeLV/FIV and say no to the rest.

I worked as a veterinary assistant for 4 years. During that time we did at least a spay/day 4 days a week. We lost one cat. It was a Persian kitten with an undiagnosed heart defect.

She was tested for that when I initially brought her in and she was negative. They found nothing wrong with her and were surprised at how healthy she was (maybe she wasn't a stray for very long). So that's good to know about the success rate with the spays. I just wish I didn't feel so guilty for wanting to save some money!

I'm a vet tech. If you have the money (as in it isn't going to cut into the grocery budget or anything), I'd do it. At least the IV fluids and catheter. My reasoning is that it isn't just for emergencies. having them on fluids means they process the anesthesia faster and wake up faster and recover faster. That said, if it will be a hardship don't do it and don't feel guilty. Just be glad you are getting her spayed.

Oh I didn't know that. They didn't note that on their descriptions of everything. Ugh, that makes my decision difficult again! LOL!! Thanks for the info, though. :)

Oh I didn't know that. They didn't note that on their descriptions of everything. Ugh, that makes my decision difficult again! LOL!! Thanks for the info, though. :)

Yeah, the one line blurb doesn't really do it justice. But when I started as a vet tech we never did fluids during routine spays, only for old/sick animals. Then, years later, iv fluids became the standard and the recovery was much faster and easier. That said, I wouldn't do it for a male cat being neutered, as the surgery takes less time than putting in the IV, but for a female I would if the money wasn't going to cut into my budget.

I never do it for a young animal. Also, you might look google "low cost spay" in your area. We have 3 groups here who will spay a cat for under $50. They're all well-known, reputable groups with no income restrictions. Their only motivation is fixing as many pets as possible.

I've looked around and they're all based on your income so we don't qualify. I did find a program that will neuter the kittens and it goes through my vet so at least I'll save some money with them. :)