Menu

Has anyone here been to Ft Drum in NY?

RainbowSprinkles

It is one of our possibilities and we would like opinions from people who been there.

What is the housing like on post and off post? What is the post like?

Cost of living?

What are the surrounding areas like?

How is it to homeschool there?

Thank you so mych for any help!!

Do you like snow? Lots of snow? I'm talking feet upon feet upon feet of snow, here. If you can honestly say, "Yes!" then the Watertown area is perfect for you. If (like me) you like the first few dustings of the season, then spend the rest of the winter going to bed with dread in your heart because of what you know you're going to wake up to, then run, as far and as fast as you can away from any place that's even remotely close to a Great Lake!

NY homeschool laws are irritating, but tolerable. Really, it's just a bunch of annoying busywork, but once you have templates set up, it's a piece of cake. I believe there is a LEAH group in that area, but I don't know how large or active it is.

I have lived in 5 different states, and NY definitely has the highest cost of living and taxes. Taxes on our home here (and we're not even in the NYC area) are more than ten times the taxes on our home in WV!

If you have family nearby, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I think I'd try my best to find another location!

I live in Syracuse, but am familiar enough with Watertown to say that it is dreary and cold up there. It's enough to make me feel tired of winter, and I'm from Syracuse! Very grey, not much culture, very rural, very flat. I love living in NY, and I would prefer never to live anywhere else, and I would happily spend the summers in the 1000 Islands, but I could never live up there year-round. Homeschooling in NY is fine, though!

I feel like this is a depressing post... :(