Menu

That was the worst day of my life

beaners

Poor Mommy!! You must have been so terrified. I'm so glad your little one is okay now.

Can you sleep with him at night? I co-sleep with all my babies/toddlers and it gives great peace of mind.

If I were you, I might would be pushing for an EEG.

This. With oldest, he was prem with apneas, not due to reflux or anything. But they didn't discover them until he was 3 days old and we were doing teh carseat study to go home, he failed it big time and then failed teh bed study. Anyway, he had initially only spent 24 hours in the nicu and then was brought to my room. I spent those next 2 days holding him, and sleeping with him on my chest. After he failed the studies he had to be put back in the nicu until the meds they were giving him were at the right level. The ped told me that likely the only reason ds did not suffer from sids in the hospital was because sleeping on my chest stimulated him enough to make his brain tell him to breathe. I have been a cosleeper ever since. Now i don't know if it would make a difference since his apneas were not freflux related. and my reflux-y baby did not have apneas, but it may give you some peace of mind.

We did not have a monitor for ds. He was on theophyline until 4 months old. He had to have his blood levels tested every week, but no monitor.

The problem I'm seeing with the over-the-counter monitors is that they wouldn't have alarmed yet when I found him, because he was still moving. I don't know how the different medical grade ones work though.

Thank you so much for explaining that. How did you keep the monitor on? When we were in the hospital he had one, but no matter what we tried he got it off within five minutes if he woke up even a little.

The medical grade O2 (oxygen saturation) alarms would alert as soon as the pulse or oxygen level were outside the parameters that your doctor recommends, so if the pulse speeds up or slows down or if the oxygen level drops. Apnea monitors just monitor lack of breath taken. We bought the soft monitor adapters that are flexible and attach by sticky to the babies foot instead of just on a finger or toe, they are an option on most medical grade oxygen saturation monitors. You buy extra sticky tabs that are changed daily or as they wear out, rotating the placement to prevent skin breakdown. It saved my sanity. I don't co-sleep, but we kept the crib about four feet from my bed after that so I could always read the monitor if I woke up.

The medical grade O2 (oxygen saturation) alarms would alert as soon as the pulse or oxygen level were outside the parameters that your doctor recommends, so if the pulse speeds up or slows down or if the oxygen level drops. Apnea monitors just monitor lack of breath taken. We bought the soft monitor adapters that are flexible and attach by sticky to the babies foot instead of just on a finger or toe, they are an option on most medical grade oxygen saturation monitors. You buy extra sticky tabs that are changed daily or as they wear out, rotating the placement to prevent skin breakdown. It saved my sanity. I don't co-sleep, but we kept the crib about four feet from my bed after that so I could always read the monitor if I woke up.

Did they look like this, or something different?

http://www.aliexpres.../546061846.html

These are what the hospital used. Is there something different?

I do sometimes sleep with him in bed, but now I'm worried about how to do that without him being able to grab any blankets. I have a space heater I can use to make the room warm enough for me to sleep without a blanket, but my husband will melt if I do that. Plus then I'll be worried about the baby overheating too.

If you look here http://www.gehealthcare.com/euen/patient_monitoring/products/imm-monitoring/accessories-supplies/supplies_oxytip.html you can see how many different ones are available for the monitor we have. We used the pink/purple ones on the bottom with animals on them with great success. You could change the sticky without having to use a new monitor adapter, much more cost effective. We put the sensor on the outer side of his foot and then put a sock over top and threaded the line up his leg and out the snaps on his outfits. If the sticky was getting loose then I'd put a little paper tape over it until it was time to change the strip. Our peds wrote a prescription and our insurance covered everything but the extra sticky tabs because they are disposable. Each sensor lasted a few months and the sticky would last 1-3 days on average. Each sensor came with a few sticky tabs and then our respiratory therapist would order extra tabs each month.

When he was hospitalized we used our own too, the nurses loved it because it wouldn't alarm all the time because the sensor didn't come loose.