Menu

Middle/ high school math and solutions to problems

DD11 uses CLE math, currently finishing level 5, and I mark her work using the answer key. I don't own the TM. We do supplement a bit with other resources, such as CWP. I have noticed the CLE answer key only provides the answer and not the solution to some problems. This seems to happen when the problem type is more review in nature.

I sometimes get impatient because the other math resources we are using do not have solutions so I am having to work those ones out already when dd makes a mistake. However, my main concern is when the math is too hard for me for me to work out and i will need the full solution myself!

I don't think the CLE TM has the full solutions either but I could be wrong. (If it did, I will buy it!)

So, am I expecting too much to want every problem to be worked out? I think Teaching Textbooks have a full solution to every problem but maybe this is unusual because it is on CD?

Yes, I'd think you're asking too much to have every problem worked out. Writing solutions out takes time. Formatting for printing takes even more. If enough people are willing to pay for worked solutions, then they'll likely be available. College math texts often have solution manuals with odd numbered problems worked out - but these are often extra to purchase.

We use CLE and find the TM very beneficial. In fact my wife wouldn't teach math without it. The TM does have all the answers and some steps as well. I just looked at level 3 which are using for dd8 and the steps are pretty basic. But it does show more than simply the answers. There are also useful tips on presenting each lesson. There are parts in the student workbook which refer to something in the TM. So if you are doing CLE I recommend it.

DS11 used MUS and is now using TabletClass for Pre-Algebra. Both provide full solutions to the problems as well. So while you might be asking for more, many programs will provide full solutions if you purchase that aspect of it. With TabletClass its included in the price.

We use CLE and find the TM very beneficial. In fact my wife wouldn't teach math without it. The TM does have all the answers and some steps as well. I just looked at level 3 which are using for dd8 and the steps are pretty basic. But it does show more than simply the answers. There are also useful tips on presenting each lesson. There are parts in the student workbook which refer to something in the TM. So if you are doing CLE I recommend it.

DS11 used MUS and is now using TabltClass for Pre-Algebra. Both provide full solutions to the problems as well. So while you might be asking for more, many programs will provide full solutions if you purchase that aspect of it. With TabletClass its included in the price.

For some reason I found the CLE TM less useful as we went along and by the time I got around to ordering level 5 I decided to purchase the answer keys instead. Maybe that was a mistake? Anyway, I am considering ordering the level 6 TM soon as it really is quite inexpensive.

MUS TMs have full solutions for every problem. I don't think it is asking too much at all. College books (like Lial's) have a solutions manual with full solutions for odd problems only, but there are so many problems, you don't need the evens.

Thanks! I'm not sure where we are going with math in the future but I know having the solutions worked out will be very important.

Abeka's answer keys have the a copy of the student page with the answers (full steps) written out. Story problems are listed with full solutions in the back. The Answer Keys (Teacher Manual??) is $$$, but worth it for me for levels 4 & up. I don't bother with it for the lower levels because it is quick for me to do the math in my head as I check the problems.