Menu

Cute LA CM style

roanna

Why am I posting on Christmas about LA?

I have 2 sick kids, one sleeping and my husband is at work. So I thought to myself why not do some good and share this cute LA that my son adores ?

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=003281

It's put out by the same people that do MCT but a diff author.

It's a VERY gentle approach to beginning LA. It includes intro to nouns, adjectives, synonyms etc. after the child reads the fable they write one good sentence about it , then color the picture provided that illustrates the fable. My son begs to do these little LA books. They lay flat nicely. Each book is $5. They build up to 4 th grade reading.

Hope someone enjoyed this Christmas review of a beginners LA program. We stopped FLL out of boredom to do this.

If you like the looks of it I would just buy all 4 because of shipping etc. we are on book 2 and he still loves it.

Do you find the age range is right? When I looked at the samples on the 3rd/4th grade one, I thought it seemed really young. My young 3rd graders would find it pretty easy and they're not advanced at all. But then again, it was a single page and the table of contents, so I didn't feel like I could judge. Conceptually, it looks really neat.

ETA: RFP has more samples for each one here. It does look sweet.

I am supposing since we are already in volume 2 and we are going into 2nd semester that we will finish all four volumes by the end of what is our 1st grade year. My son likes LA a lot, loves Aesop's Fables and reads at a higher level so it was a perfect fit for him. I do not think a 3rd or 4th grader would like this. The reading level of the fables is the only thing that seems to indicate the grade level really.

I forgot to add that there is alphabetizing work every now and then also.

The activities that go with the fable, thinking/logic part , does get increasingly difficult but with mom's help it would probably be ok with younger kids.

Ok so I thought while my dinner is cooking I would add a few examples of the activities after you do the reading and drawing page...

1. Can you think of another way to save the ant? Write about your plan and draw a picture.

2. Learning to write and address a letter correctly.

3. The names of the seven days in the week begin with capital letters. Draw a special treat (there are boxes for each day) to eat for each day of the week. Write the name of each day under the picture . Which snack is your favorite? Draw a red circle around it.

4. Pretend you are walking in the forest. Write as many words as you can to describe what you can touch, smell, see and hear. There are columns/rows labeled for each sense. This goes with a fable about the man in the woods.

anyhow, you get the idea. There are varied activities so he doesn't get bored. There are also little thinking bubbles on the pages that you can ignore or ask your child. Like after the favorite snacks one it asks in the bubble, "why is it a good idea to brush your teeth after you eat a snack?" It has also asked about jealousy etc.

It's not like its the perfect thing but if FLL bores you this is fun.

Do you find the age range is right? When I looked at the samples on the 3rd/4th grade one, I thought it seemed really young. My young 3rd graders would find it pretty easy and they're not advanced at all. But then again, it was a single page and the table of contents, so I didn't feel like I could judge. Conceptually, it looks really neat.

ETA: RFP has more samples for each one here. It does look sweet.

I had gotten the entire series for my dd this year. She is 3rd grade (age 9). We are only on book one. At first, she liked it...but the activities got old for her really fast (mostly the coloring). Now we just read the story together, talk about the moral (she likes the story and moral) and I just look over the activity pages and see if there's anything she wants to do or not, or just do parts of it. I actually haven't looked ahead to see if the other books get harder or not. I'll have to do that.