Menu

accelerating wwe?

musicianmom

Dd7 has recently started Writing with Ease level 2. We've finished week 4 and she has picked up the idea of summarizing and is doing very well. The program seems to progress very slowly, though, and the exercises are the same every week. Would there be any problem with just skipping every other week so we can finish by the end of the school year?

We did, without running into any problems. I had him doing two lessons per day for a while, and then partway through WWE2 (perhaps 70%), I skipped my son directly into WWE3. He had no trouble with WWE3, and I ended up compacting it halfway through, as well. He was fine on summarizing, so we just did the dictations involving mechanics he needed experience with (semicolons, quotes, etc.).

Wow, a bunch of replies got lost while the board was on vacation!

After looking at the sample of WWE3, I decided not to try to accelerate. Dd is very easily frustrated, and I think she will do well to have plenty of practice at the WWE2 level to gain confidence. We may work on it over the summer, but I'm not going to skip.

Like others, I accelerated by combining the narration/dictation days, and also by having her write her own narration on both narration days, instead of just the first one. We jumped ship about halfway through WWE 3 and started WWS - her narration & dictation skills were rock solid, and it was getting boring (one benefit of having been in ps - kids are accustomed to doing a *ton* of writing by the time they get to 4th grade, though sometimes of dubious quality, and certainly largely without feedback for improvement). WWS has gone well so far - just starting week 20.

Wow, a bunch of replies got lost while the board was on vacation!

After looking at the sample of WWE3, I decided not to try to accelerate. Dd is very easily frustrated, and I think she will do well to have plenty of practice at the WWE2 level to gain confidence. We may work on it over the summer, but I'm not going to skip.

If you later choose to accelerate, you may find the textbook helpful. It has samples of each major change in each level. We did WWE 2 and 3 fully, then did the textbook version of WWE 4 before moving to WWS.