Menu

Feeling disenchanted with MUS

Hakg

My DS (grade 2) used Singapore for 2 years. He used the Early Bird series and then 1a and 1b books in grade 1. He liked Singapore but then got stuck on the way they were teaching mental maths. He was capable of achieving the answers in his head but he did not want to work it out the Singapore way. In any event we persevered through 1b. After 1b was complete, he begged not to do Singapore anymore. There were often tears with the mental math stratergies and I think he felt done after 1b. I had had enough also, I didnt want math to be a struggle for him and something he disliked so intensely. We had used MUS (primer) when he was very young, and after much deliberation and research, we went back to MUS. I felt the need to start him back in Alpha so he could understand the MUS 'way'.

We spent a whole year on Alpha (we probably didnt need to spend that long), however we did because I wanted him to complete every worksheet as a way to practice his number facts. And guess what? after a whole year learning number facts, he doesnt have them all down pat! I am so disappointed. I feel like I have held him back this year becuase I believe he is far more capable in maths. If he had those number facts down pat, I dont think I would be so disappointed because I know the scope and sequence of MUS is very unique and I knew that when we began this program.

What bothers me, is that I feel if he was using another program that covered other concepts, and it was simply the addition facts that he was not solid with, I would feel as if he had learnt a lot throughout the year, and just needs further practice with his number facts. Currently how I feel is that we have spent a whole year learning one very basic concept and have not succeeded. :confused1: :confused1:

I should mention that DS has a great memory so there are no issues with memorisation. He is also very bright and has no LD.

Has anyone else felt like this after using Alpha or Beta? I feel quite ill about it, like I have made a mistake and chosen the wrong curriculum for him. Like I mentioned he is a bright boy, quite STEM oriented, and I feel math is important for him for his future years. I dont want to mess it up in these early stages. I dont want to waste whole years at a time.

If you have been in a similar boat I would love to hear your experience, what did you do to rectify the situation, what program did you switch to, was it successful. I apologise in advance for the multitude of queries here.

Thanks a bunch.

We had the same issue with Singapore. We use Excel Math and Miquon together. Excel is an overall spiral math program covering a smorgasbord of topics while Miquon works nicely with number sense and understanding operations through manipulatives (cuisinaire rods). We did not use MUS. sometimes it does take time to figure out what will work for each child. The switching of programs can be frustrating, but he will also learn multiple ways of understanding math. It will all come together!

Yes, we had all three of our children start with MUS. It only worked for one of the three. Our two dds just weren't retaining things and didn't like it. We decided to try a more spiral approach with them using CLE and they really enjoy it more. Both seem to be thriving with it learning at or above grade level now. MUS is mastery and if students are not getting and retaining it its like banging your head against a wall = frustrating. Sometimes kids just need to move on and then come back to something for it to really set in their minds. That's where a spiral approach can really help. The hardest part is not switching programs but rather doing the same thing and not making any real progress.

We used MUS Primer for Kinder and it didn't work for us ... we are now using CLE for 2nd and DS suddenly knows all of his addition/subtraction and is doing wonderfully. He no longer cries about doing math. We did Singapore last year and it was ok (a huge improvement over MUS) but nothing like CLE. He never cries about math any more and is really excelling.

I just recently switched for MUS for my dd and ds 7 and dd 9 for the same reasons you describe.

Don't despair! You have lots of time with your son for math. We are using Teaching Textbooks CDs for all the kids now, and LOVING it. We also are using Timez Attack to learn the addition/subtraction facts for the 7 year olds, and multiplication for the 9 year old.

In my opinion, the rote memoriziation of facts works best through games and drill, and there are about a millions options.

When you say that he doesn't have them down pat, do you mean that he has to use the manipulatives still, or that it takes him some time to solve the problems? My kids used a different math for their elementary years (we started MUS with pre-algebra), but I found it was pretty normal for them to still be using manipulatives to solve problems in 2nd grade. If you and he both like MUS otherwise, then I'd just keep going. You can work on math facts lots of ways--MUS has online drill pages (we actually did use these some in the elem. years!), you can do flash cards or play games that involve math. One of my kids' favorites was math war--played like the card game war, except instead of turning up only one card, you turn up two. For Addition war you add the cards, and for multiplication war (later on), you multiply them. Largest sum (or product) takes all 4 cards. There are all sorts of board games that involve counting and adding, we used to do that for "fun" math days or family game nights or during Christmas and summer breaks as a way to keep up on facts. There are also handheld devices like the Math Shark or Flashmaster that you can use to work on facts.

If your son doesn't like MUS otherwise, or if you don't, then I'd look for something else, but otherwise, just find some fun ways to add on fact practice and keep going. He'll get them.

Merry :-)

It doesn't sound like MUS was the right fit for him, though with your opening of his Singapore issues, I'd say that you may want to look not at a curriculum just yet, but at how he processes the information. To not do well in either says that you may need to focus your search on curricula that directly address his strategies and holes in critical thinking.

MUS worked for us - BUT, I think a lot of people skip at least 1 of the 4 components and expect it to be just fine. It won't be. The seeing is as important as the doing. The writing is as important as the teaching. All of these the student needs to be able to do so you know where the problems are and how to adjust. The number of worksheets that they do should not be a measure of how well the curriculum is working for them.

Thank you all for your responses. In answer to some of your questions (sorry I cant work the multiquote properly).

What I mean by DS not having all of his addition facts down pat is that he does not know them all. I expected that he would have after working on them for a whole year. He remembers them while he is doing the lesson, but then later cannot (probably because he is not interested to remember them). He really does not have trouble with memorising for any other subject. Yes, he uses the blocks at times for the facts he does not know - I am not sure that using the blocks actually helps him memorise anything though - just helps with the answer.

I know if I sit with DS every day for 2 weeks, play games, fill in some worksheets, use xtramath online and make a point of learning these facts and why they are important to memorise, he will learn them. My point being that I believe he can learn them in 2 weeks, why have we spent a year on them?. This really is my genuine concern.

Lily Grace - I do think he is ready for a curriculum - he will be in grade 3 next year. He did well with Singapore (except for the mental math strategies) and then when I put him in Alpha I think it was just too remdial for him given what he had already completed in Singapore. I took him back to Alpha because he was so young and I thought, if he can start from the beginning, the MUS 'way' will make more sense to him in the long run.

I know not having memorised his facts is not a huge deal in itself, my issue is more that this is all he worked on all year - he should be a 'master' of addition facts (well thats how I feel anyway). I dont think I have challenged him adequately. I would like a curriculum that has him thinking and working out and writing out his own sums. At his age, I would like to see double digit addition and subtraction, beginning multiplication and division. I want him to feel challenged, but not to tears.

I dont think we will stick with MUS. MUS has been good for him in the sense that he has had a year to mature and move past his fear of Singapore's, mental strategies, so I will look into this again (I have all of the books). I will look into CLE, TT and MM again also. I do want a curriculum so if any other fabulous ones come to mind, I'm all ears. :)

Rod & Staff is another worth looking into which many seem to like. We haven't used it personally. But if we didn't like CLE for whatever reason we would consider it. Many like MM which is also a consideration and probably most like SM without the SM methods from what I've heard.

For the Singapore mental math, don't get hung up on how it's done. If he has a good method, let him use it! My son sometimes comes up with better methods than what's presented. I say, "That's a great method! Here's how the book was saying to do it <show book method>, but I like your method better!" :) That way, the method is still being presented as an option, because it might be useful one day, but he isn't required to do it that way.

Actually, my middle son just finished up Unit 6 in 1A (the infamous adding/subtracting across tens, where mental math is introduced and it's not uncommon for 1st graders to get stuck there temporarily). My son had no problem with the addition method and picked it up right away. The subtraction method though... It just wasn't clicking, and frankly, I didn't like the method myself. I showed him the method I use (subtract down the ten, then subtract the rest) which makes more sense to my brain, and lo and behold, it seemed to click more with him too. There is nothing in Singapore *requiring* a certain method be used. In fact, they teach several different methods. The point is to give the child some tools of mental math, because many kids that young won't figure out their own tools. But you aren't meant to force them into a tool that doesn't work for them. If I'm doing 17-9, I'd rather do 17-7-2 instead of 10-9+7. Both work equally well and are valid methods for quick calculation. For ME, it's just easier to stick to one operation (subtraction) rather than mixing operations. I will get more confused if I have to subtract, then add. And since both methods use the same number of steps, it doesn't matter which one you use. Now my older son would do something weird like 17-5-4 and get it that way. :lol: As I said, he usually has his own methods. :D

Another point I'd like to make is that it's not unusual for 1st graders to not have all their facts down pat, even if they have been working on them all year. It's a lot harder than you think. Try assigning letters to numbers and then adding with letters. How long will it take for you to have your letter addition and subtraction facts memorized? In Math Mammoth, where they basically work addition and subtraction facts all through 1st grade, she expects kids to have them memorized by the end of 2nd grade.

I would also let him use manipulatives if he needs them. Using them to find the answer helps get that fact into their brain. C-rods are excellent for this, because they can't just count. They have to learn that 5 and 3 make 8.

As far as programs go, you might like MM if you still want mental math (but broken down very incrementally) or CLE if you want traditional with plenty of fact practice.

And perhaps he does know the facts, but you just haven't been challenging him, so he's not letting on that he knows them. :D Whatever program you select, skip the parts he knows already, and get him placed correctly. White board lessons might help you skip ahead to where he should be.

Thank you boscopup and WendyK - I cant tell you how helpful your posts have been. Boscopup my son does his mental math the way you have described - he cant understand why he needs to add when he is supposed to be subtracting - I wasnt keen on this either. Since I have Singapore books here I will give them a good going over again.