Menu

I'm trying!

I recently posted venting about how hard it feels for me to homeschool. My 5th grader is really challenging me with her quirks. Well, I'm trying to look at the big picture and hope that I'll be glad i did this about ten years from now. Maybe even as soon as 7 or 8 years from now.

However, she is so bad at staying on task that I'm having to 'babysit' her while she does most of her work. Because she easily gets distracted by ANYTHING, I've decided to just plop down right next to her to keep her on task. Hopefully this won't last long and will jump start her to get it done herself.

I'm also taking the advice of a dear friend and pretending that they're not "my kids" during school time hahaha. It's working! You can be so much nicer to other people's kids and expect so much less (meaning not perfection).

I also feel like my 4yr old is missing out on some songs and stories b/c I'm not free to play with her. The 5th grader always jumps in when I get animated with my 4yr old, and I keep telling her that I'm talking like that to get the 4yr old interested not HER!!!

Good thing a 2week break is coming.

I soooo get that with the prek'er. I'm trying to keep the 3yo busy so that older 2 can work, but then the olders join in, like I was doing it all to amuse them. My 5th grader can be independent but we have other issues. She takes the minor correction personally and hides in her room for hours, thinking to herself "I'm the worst person ever". Every day I'm scratching my head and wondering, "how do I talk her out of her funk and back into schoolwork?" argh.