Menu

Algebra and Geometry- When to teach

caitlinsmom

Today it hit me that I will have a middle schooler in under 2 years. I admit that freaked me out as I still see my oldest as a K most days. :)

After I did a bit of deep breathing I grabbed my WTM to check things out so I can start looking here and there. I noticed that it is recommended that the typical math study starting in 7th goes pre-al, algebra, geometry, algebra 2 and so on. Years I ago I read (maybe heard a lecture?) that geometry taught first is actually better for most kids as it helps transition from tangible math to abstract math better. It was also mentioned that most kids will pick up geometry faster than algebra as it makes more sense to them. I could be crazy but I thought it also mentioned that we were one of the only countries that throws geometry in the middle of the algebras

Have any of you found this to be accurate? Do you follow the traditional math levels as listed above?

I wish I could remember where I read/saw/heard that info beause I would like to go over it again. If you happen to know what I am talking about please send me the link/info. :)

In a rigorous high school level geometry course, the student will need to use algebra to solve geometry problems.

There are certainly topics in geometry that can be studied before algebra, but a full geometry course will require algebra 1 as a prerequisite.

The order of geometry and algebra 2 can be reversed, or can be both taken concurrently.

This is a good question. And while I have never heard of taking geometry before algebra I think there are many ways to introduce these advanced concepts. When I was at this stage with my oldest I was also beginning to think ahead to algebra and geometry. During that time I received a lot of great ideas from forums such as this. One of them was to begin early introducing advanced concepts in fun, friendly ways which kids could relate to. So we began teaching algebraic reasoning with Hands-on-Equations as a suppliment to their main arithmetic programs. I recommend HOE highly.

In a similar way I am looking at incorporating Geometry during the Algebra year(s). Patty Paper Geometry is a great resouce for this. Take a look at how a number of parents have used it in this fashion as an gentle intro to Geometry: http://forums.welltr...paper-geometry/ In addition ds11 is facinated with Origami and spends countless hours creating all kinds of geometric shapes. So his natural curiousity lends itself to this type of early learning via discovery.

Here's a geometry book for the younger years which you could start now - Hands-On Geometry.

I took Algebra 2 in summer school (not my idea!) after 8th grade Algebra & before 9th grade Geometry, so my "algebras" were together, but both BEFORE geometry. I didn't understand proofs at all when they asked me to do them in Adv. Algebra. Once I was taught proofs in Geometry, I understood what they wanted me to do in Alg. 2. :blink:

So, no help here. Just sharing my experience. I've heard the discussion before about how we split our math into various subjects that other countries don't, but never heard the geometry-before-algebra thing before.

I have a relative encouraging me to do geometry before algebra with my DC. She swears kids learn algebra 1 concepts through the geometry easier than they do with an algebra 1 book. She's on her fifth DC at this level of math, and I'm on my first. Math certainly isn't my forte, but we'll be sticking with the algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2 sequence. It just makes more sense to my brain. If we have time we'll throw in some supplementary Patty Paper Geometry with the algebra 1.