Menu

Does anyone know if "Native American" is considered a minority group ?

If yes, does it still apply if it is not "recognized tribe"? The tribe is supposedly recognized culturally but not federally? I don't really understand it but that is what I was told.

We are working on some details for our dfd and her adoption. On an upcoming tax form I need to specify if she is a 'minority'. I don't know what to put or who to ask...maybe the tribal office would tell me?

Since her grandmother is registered with a tribe, I was already considering calling the tribe to see what the process is for registering her but I don't know how much they will work with me since I am not part of their tribe. I am part NA (different tribe) but am not registered so it doesn't really help. I don't want to do it for any benefits, I just want her to know her heritage and ancestry especially since she really resembles pictures of her ancestors.

I know there are special laws for NA foster children, but since she is not registered, the laws haven't been forced. I was invited to a special set of workshops for foster parents who are raising Native American children, but the workshops are all on days that I work.

Her bio-mom doesn't want to register her because she is afraid the tribe may try to take her away from us. We are blood relatives to the baby but not on the 'right' tribal side. I have been assured by someone in the foster system that as long as I am a blood relative that the law requiring preference to Native American children being kept in Native American families would not be a problem.

Okay, so I just explained way more than necessary, I guess I have a lot on my mind tonight.

Thanks, Tap

Yes, being Native American is considered a minority. Whether it "applies" depends upon what you're talking about. To register as a Native American when I registered for my university I had to show my tribal membership card. My tribe is not a federally recognized tribe.

I'm not sure what you mean by "benefits." Not all Native Americans are eligible for benefits. I received government reparations that were due to our tribe but children born after a certain date are not. My children would not receive such a payment or other benefits.

The tribe would not be able to take her away just because they are Native American and you aren't.

If yes, does it still apply if it is not "recognized tribe"? The tribe is supposedly recognized culturally but not federally? I don't really understand it but that is what I was told.

:) The previous poster was correct that being a Native American is considered to be a minority status. Whether the tribe is recognized culturally or federally does not matter. (That is whether they have sovereignty, land rights, $$$, and can govern themselves.)

It would be ideal to register the baby with her tribe -- despite your concern -- I think you will be fine as it sounds you are a relative. When the child grows up, they can take advantage of scholarships for college. I wish my parents had pursued getting my sisters and I on the roll for that reason. (We are Mescalero Apache & Hispanic) I hope all goes well.

--Pat

Former K-6 Schoolteacher (15+ years)

Mom to a wonderful DS (13 yr old)

and awesome Hubby (21 yrs of marriage)

HS'er for 4 years

I'd check with an attorney knowlegable in adoption and NA's. Something this serious shouldn't be left to chance. I know that when we were adopting, we were informed that ANY tribe could block an adoption of any NA child by a non-NA, ignoring the NA parents' wishes. From that I recieved the impression that if my bil was registered as part Cherokee, no one in my family would be able to become my sister's children's guardians. We never followed up on this because for us it was moot.

But it doesn't have to be officially documented for your future child to be raised with knowledge of his genetic background. Thousands of internationally adopted children are taught about the country they were born in without being "officially" labeled.

But it doesn't have to be officially documented for your future child to be raised with knowledge of his genetic background.

I figured the OPer was wanting to register in order to help the child down the road. For example, Native American women are an under-represented group in universities and that label would help her in that regard.

Thanks everyone, that helps a lot.

Just to clarify a couple of details....

The benefits that are possibly available to her are tribal health insurance, tribal lawyers (since she is a ward of the state and is up for adoption/guardianship), and future benefits for school scholarships/aide.

The reason I feel being a registered part of the tribe will help her feel more attached to the community is that I feel (maybe I am wrong here) that she will be more welcomed at community events if she has a proven lineage. My husband is 1/2 German, I am 1/2 Norwegian we are both light skinned blonds. Dfd looks a lot like Mrs. Mungo. Beautiful dark eyes, dark hair and complexion. Our other bio-kids are blue eyed, toe-head blonds. She will grow up getting the question "where did you come from?" It is very clear to people that she is not our bio-child. I grew up in the opposite coloring of a family. My sisters and brothers and mother are all NA, I have a different father than my sibs, so I am Norwegian in coloring. I never 'fit' into my family and used to get asked about it all the time. It was a different experience for me when I met my Norwegian family for the first time. It was so cool to finally meet people that 'I looked like'...it was so amazing for me to look at people and say...I have the same eyes, the same smile or the same coloring. I really want her to grow up comfortable with herself and how she came to be with our family. The tribal connection is on my sisters fathers side who is estranged mainly by absence from my immediate family. If I have her linage, then we may be able to meet people to whom she is directly related. I think that will be very good for her. Especially if she finds a bond with in the community.

Thanks again everyone,

Tap

The tribe would not be able to take her away just because they are Native American and you aren't.

Well, YES, they could if they really pushed it. ICWA is the Indian Child Welfare Act from 1970s or so. Native American children are to be placed with Native American homes if at all possible.

Now, in this case it is a relative and she is part Native so the chances of the tribe pushing this are VERY VERY remote, but they could. The courts (usually tribal) could still leave here wit the family even if it was challenged.

We adopted 3 children that were placed with use through MICWA (the Michigan agency). My 20ds is from the same tribe and band as my dh---Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa/Chippewa Indians. The girls are part Cherokee and so am I so we were called for them. All of the kids came as foster children first.

How much NA is she? Some tribes only register up to 1/4th, others up to 1/32 or even 1/64th.

My dh is a registered member of his tribe and the benefits have been extremely helpful---free college education has been the main one.

I highly doubt the tribe would push this issue as you are a relative and Native. You might have to promise them to help her maintain her culture, etc. The one thing you don't want to do is do this all under the table type thing and then have the tribe challenge it a few years down the road---again, very unlikely they would but it could make the adoption "illegal". I know for our kids, there were things on the adoption petition that made sure that any and all tribal stuff was cleared first.

The benefits though can be very helpful and I would apply for them if possible. Some of them you have to live on the reservation or close to it to qualify but for others you can live anywhere.

Native American kids CAN be adopted by non relative, non Natives as well----IF the tribe approves. My friend has an adopted Eskimo daughter. They were missionaries in the village and were asked to adopt the baby. They did have to go through the tribal courts and get approval but once that was done, they were free to adopt her.

Well, YES, they could if they really pushed it. ICWA is the Indian Child Welfare Act from 1970s or so. Native American children are to be placed with Native American homes if at all possible.

Now, in this case it is a relative and she is part Native so the chances of the tribe pushing this are VERY VERY remote, but they could. The courts (usually tribal) could still leave here wit the family even if it was challenged.

We adopted 3 children that were placed with use through MICWA (the Michigan agency). My 20ds is from the same tribe and band as my dh---Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa/Chippewa Indians. The girls are part Cherokee and so am I so we were called for them. All of the kids came as foster children first.

This really, REALLY depends upon the tribe. In this case it was stated that it is not a federally recognized tribe. In that case there is no tribal court. The tribe may have lawyers (mine does but they are all my uncles) but they won't have a court system unless they are federally recognized. I was coming from the perspective of a member of a non-federallly recognized tribe.