Menu

Tally marks and eventually I'll stop posting. Lol

amo_mea_filiis.

Dd and ds just had a massive fight. Nothing physical, but ds really went off. The topic was tally marks.

I stopped the fight, but if i just flat out tell ds he is wrong, it'll escalate again and we don't need that.

I did tell dd that she's right, but to please drop it and let me figure out how to talk to ds.

So, hive. Help. Why are tally marks crossed for the 5th? Maybe i can introduce (or cement) counting by 5s and tally marks and nickels at the same time.

We were taught that crossing the fifth is like bundling sticks in groups of five. Our parents generation also put dollar notes in stacks of five by folding the fifth note over the other four.

A "titbit" For those who know or are learning chinese, we also use a chinese word to represent counting by five. We use æ­£ which is written in five strokes.

ETA:

In fives probably because we use our hands and feet before we count mentally? So five fingers, five toes.

And then you could further explain it's like the clock with five minutes per number. Five is magical. :laugh:

I guess i forgot everything 5 related. I think we'll spend a month of math on this magical 5.

I still dont know how to fill him in! His tantrum ended with him screaming that i always take dd's side and i always say he's wrong. I regularly beg dd not to get into these arguments with him but she can't resist. I get it. She really is right and its not a matter of opinion, but it crushes him to always be wrong. He will not allow her to teach him in the moment.