Menu

SL LA, Read-Alouds, Readers

MrsMe

I would like to know how their LA works in Core G. Am I understanding that the Grammar book is optional and for practice?

What do you need to know grammar wise for this level? It looks like grammar is learned in the context of writing, SL doesn't use diagramming.

What are you thoughts on Core G's grammar in general? Is it a complete writing/grammar program?

Also if money is an object, do you prefer the Read Alouds to Readers or vice versa? Which one would be more fruitful?

There are many more readers than read-alouds at this level. I personally would not want to choose between them. My DD11 does not like to be read to and does all the reading herself in a Core. But if I had to chose, I would chose the readers.

I have not seen the Core G LA but I do not like SL LA in general. I found it to be very bare bones as far as student instruction and teacher helps.

I used another LA program and did not purchase the LA but now you do not have a choice as LA is integrated into the IG.

I haven't used Core G, but having used Core D, I would say that if money is an object, buy a used IG and use the money you save (probably around $75+) to buy some of the books. You may even be able to find a whole core used for a fraction of the new cost. In these cores, the read-alouds and the readers all enhance the history, and sometimes part of the history they're meant to learn will only be found in the read-alouds or the readers and not the spine. So I don't skimp so much on read-alouds and readers.

I've looked at SL LA several times, and I was not impressed, so I don't ever plan to use it.

See now I like what I saw in Core G LA, but perhaps because I'm using Writing Strands and find it not useful. LOL. I also am interested in Core G the newer version since that's the sample I see and I know it's been rewritten. So I thought maybe I could go back and forth between readers and read-alouds, but thought maybe someone enjoyed one over the other. I'll wait till the IG arrives, then perhaps pick and choose. I've already dropped something twice this year, and just don't want to spend more than needed.

I'd let the core stretch more than a year if I had to choose between readers and read-alouds--it's rare that we don't enjoy one of the books. Do you plan to just do fewer books in each category, or how would you choose one over the other (one is meant to be read by the student, the other by you)? I know some kids this age are able to read all of the books themselves...but I confess I'm hooked on read-alouds and feel some books are too good not to be shared! We just have such good discussions, I'd hate to drop that part of our day (I still add in read-alouds & my oldest is 10th grade!).

The LA has never worked for us--we needed more instruction--so I'm not much help there. But my understanding is that if you want to cover grammar, then add a grammar program (SL's optional one or something else). Otherwise it's not a focus of the LA. Hopefully someone here can give you more input!

Merry :-)