Menu

Homeschooling for a semester??

My sister will be homeschooling her 1st grade son for one semester. They are moving and can't enroll mid-term in the school of their choice.

She has 3 other younger (pre-k) kids so her hands are full. I'd like to help provide some ideas that are doable but would make this semester a good experience. She and my brother in law are very academic minded. I don't think things like learning through life and etc. will feel like enough for them.

Any thoughts on what I might suggest? I gave her 1st and 2nd grade Math in Focus (Singapore like but aligned to common core). I'm thinking of getting her some c-rods and linking the education unboxed videos too.

She wants creative story starter type things I think because his current 1st grade teacher does neat things for writing prompts.

I thought Magic Schoolbus might be engaging but easy to do science?

I'd welcome any thoughts...

Magic School bus is a good idea to combine with home experiments and library books on the topic. She use the book list from Sonlight or Ambleside Online for literature books to read. I would advise an workbook for 1sr grade language arts. For history just get an engaging living history book to read together and do select hands-on projects. Get lots of outdoor time. This migt be a great time to explore topics that the child has been interested in but hasn't had the time to explore.