Menu

OPGTTR Question or Vent!

Guest Buela

I have been trucking along in OPGTTR with my 5 year old since September and am loving it. She is progressing so well, and I'm truly encouraged at how quickly she is learning to read. We are on Lesson 61 (the diagraph ph) today and it really threw me for a loop. I had to flip back through the whole book to see if I had missed something because there were a whole list of words for her to read that have concepts not yet covered by the book. Long vowel sounds for one. The list of new words includes phone, photograph, telephone and physical. I had noticed previously in the book where it has words in the sentences/poems that have not been covered yet (her for instance) and so I have just treated them as sight words. But never so many as today. Am I missing something here?

I'm a total newbe here and to homeschooling and so this has me doubting how successfull the rest of the book is going to be for us and if I'm going to find so much to wrestle with in every subject as we progress. FWIW I'm not sure I even learned to read phonetically myself and English is not the first language i learned to read/write. All the terminology (long/short vowels, blends, digraphs etc) are new to me.

I found this very annoying the first time around too, but we went through the whole book and it was very successful. I'm using it again for my DS5 and we're a few lessons ahead of you. That lessons bugged me again, but this issue really doesn't appear too many times in the book. I think you used the right approach on it. English is my second language too and I didn't learn it by any method so this was all new to me too. After completing OPGTR with one child, though, I can say I have full confidence in it.

The point of that lesson was not to teach the words but for the student to hear the sounds and find the "ph" making it in the word.

The instructions say: "Instructor: There are plenty of other words that contain the letter pair ph, and you will learn how to read those words in later lessons. For now, I will read the words to you, using my finger to move under a word as I read it. When you see ph and hear me make the sound /f/, circle the ph in the word."

(Underline added by me.)

The point of that lesson was not to teach the words but for the student to hear the sounds and find the "ph" making it in the word.

The instructions say: "Instructor: There are plenty of other words that contain the letter pair ph, and you will learn how to read those words in later lessons. For now, I will read the words to you, using my finger to move under a word as I read it. When you see ph and hear me make the sound /f/, circle the ph in the word."

(Underline added by me.)

I agree. This is how I interpreted it as well. The words are to be read by the teacher, so the student can hear more examples of the ph sound. I was actually glad to have more examples to show my student than just the couple that are at their current reading level. I did not expect my student to actually read them though. HTH