Menu

Latin Help

kwg

So I am thinking I would like to switch Latin programs. We like Lively Latin ...but it is not getting done. I need somehting that is open and go- not that I have to print.

Ds is 10. He does like the video lessons, we are secular, and I have no background.

Any ideas?

Ugh! I was going to switch to Lively Latin because Latin Prep isn't getting done here.

Why isn't LL getting done at your house??

Because I suck! You will do better, I am certain :coolgleamA: My printer is a pain, I forget to punch holes so I lose papers, I can't keep track of the flashcards. All ridiculous reasons :leaving: It is just...too much. Ds tolerates it, I like it....

How come Latin Prep isn't getting done at your house? That was on my list of to look over.

Maybe it is Virginia. lol. I am in VA also.

I absolutely adore Visual Latin. Dd9 watches the videos by herself and then works on the corresponding worksheet almost independently. I have been spending about 10 minutes per day going over flashcards with her, but I'm about to load her vocab onto Quizlet so she can work on that independently too. I will then only spend a few minutes per

It gets done consistently. I'd say I spend about at the minimum 10 minutes and at the maximum 20 minutes per day helping\facilitating.

Ugh! I was going to switch to Lively Latin because Latin Prep isn't getting done here.

Why isn't LL getting done at your house??

Don't rule out Lively Latin! We completely love it. I print out four lessons at a time (8 weeks of work), so we're not scrambling to print each lesson.

Is VL. Secular? You print the worksheet daily? And the video is online or you order dvds?

The video is on the dvds that you order and then you download the worksheets and answer key to print off as you need them. I just printed the whole thing and had it bound so I didn't have to constantly worry about it.

VL uses passages from the bible for translation work on the third day. They aren't preachy in any way though, nor is Dwayne during the lessons. The translation starts out with simple sentences. "God is good. Angles are in heaven. God and angels are in heaven and they are good." Very, very basic stuff. We are Christian but prefer secular material and I haven't had a problem at all with the passages any more than I would have a problem translating ancient Roman mythology stories.

My oldest two are finishing up GSWL (in combo with LfC), and my oldest is loving Latin Book One (available on Yahoo). Latin Book One has been a very nice continuation from GSWL (some of the content was review, but not all). First Latin Lessons is very similar to Latin Book One, as it is an earlier work by the same author. I like the focus on reading, and Latin to English translation.

ETA: I just re-read your original post and saw that you didn't want to print--sorry! My links are vintage goodies that would need to be printed off, or possiby just read on the computer/tablet/e-reader, and write out the vocab/exercises into a notebook....

Because I suck! You will do better, I am certain :coolgleamA: My printer is a pain, I forget to punch holes so I lose papers, I can't keep track of the flashcards. All ridiculous reasons :leaving: It is just...too much. Ds tolerates it, I like it....

How come Latin Prep isn't getting done at your house? That was on my list of to look over.

Maybe it is Virginia. lol. I am in VA also.

Ha! I just don't like the format. It was hard for me to open and go without any Latin. I was hoping for more hand holding. It also seemed very disjointed to me.

I need something more systematic with spiral review.