Menu

If your kids have taken a standardized test at a local school,

Was it a computerised test or a paper test? Is it a state test or a standardized test that your children take? If its a computerised test it is fast. For a paper test I would just call the school and ask about an estimated time frame for getting the results. If it is a state test than it typically takes very long for results.

It was a standardized test. It was paper. I don't know what the difference is between a state test and a standardized test. I thought the standardized tests were state tests. :001_unsure:

There are standardized tests like ITBS, Stanford, Terra Nova that are used by private schools here. State tests are the test dictated by the state which the public school kids take.

So if it is a state test, they would norm against the whole state and also investigate possible cheating (like posting of test questions on Facebook). So like for California, we took in May and got the results in end August.

There are standardized tests like ITBS, Stanford, Terra Nova that are used by private schools here. State tests are the test dictated by the state which the public school kids take.

So if it is a state test, they would norm against the whole state and also investigate possible cheating (like posting of test questions on Facebook). So like for California, we took in May and got the results in end August.

I assumed it was the ITBS because we are in Iowa. In our case the ITBS is probably our state test, right?

I can't answer your original question. I just wanted to mention that here they offer testing at the local school. The test they give is not the same test they give the rest of the kids. They get a state test. The test homeschoolers are offered is the Terra Nova. I am not entirely sure why this is the case, but for one thing the testing time is completely different.

I would just call them up and not worry about bugging them.

I think the kids took the same test as the others, because the counselor ordered them together. I thought it was odd, though, that my kids didn't take every section that the counselor said they would. They took the science test (which I would have skipped) and didn't take the punctuation, capitalization, and vocabulary sections. They were with another homeschool family in the library. I thought they'd be in with kids their own age, but they weren't.

I will call the school. I didn't know if a month wasn't nearly enough time to give them and didn't want to seem ignorant. I am ignorant about this, though, so I might as well call.

That is weird and makes no sense. I don't give a hoot about science testing in elementary.

I did wonder if that was normal. They took two math sections, a reading comprehension section, spelling and science and some kind of social studies. I didn't know if all the kids only took those sections or just the homeschoolers. AFAIK, the kids did okay on the science and social studies, but I'm sure we've followed a different scope and sequence from the ps. My kids would have done well on the capitalization, vocab, and punctuation.