Menu

I'm in time-out

Giraffe

Check out http://www.ereaderiq.com/ and click on Amazon's list of 100 bestselling Kindle books and look at the ones that have 4-5 stars, a storyline that interests you, and lots of reviews (20+). I've got over 1000 free books on my Kindle, and have read about 500 of them -- so far there have been about 5 duds that I quit reading after the first chapter or two. The rest have mainly been books I would give 4 or 5 stars to. I've discovered tons of new authors I like -- they aren't all indie authors.

The problem with this approach is that I have 300 books on my Kindle that I haven't read. It annoys me so much that I am reading them in order of their arrival on my device just to get them off there. I add more every couple of days, at a rate faster than I can read them. The manage your Kindle feature on Amazon is very slow and cumbersome to use if you have lots of books on there, which is why my unread books are on my Kindle, kind of like an always nagging me to do list.

I agree with going to Amazon to their TOP FREE 100 KINDLE books. I have only ever paid for ONE book.....they hooked me by giving the first 3 of 4 in the series for free. I then paid $4 for the last book.

I have about 200 books on my kindle and like RoughCollie I have discovered books, genres, and authors I would have never otherwise read. Often 1/2 of more of the top 100 are "smut" books as a friend of mine calls them but there are some very very good ones there. The list changes hourly and some books are only on the list as free for a very short time or for a limited number of downloads so check frequently and if you see something you like, download it right away. You can always delete later.

Check out http://www.ereaderiq.com/ and click on Amazon's list of 100 bestselling Kindle books and look at the ones that have 4-5 stars, a storyline that interests you, and lots of reviews (20+). I've got over 1000 free books on my Kindle, and have read about 500 of them -- so far there have been about 5 duds that I quit reading after the first chapter or two. The rest have mainly been books I would give 4 or 5 stars to. I've discovered tons of new authors I like -- they aren't all indie authors. The problem with this approach is that I have 300 books on my Kindle that I haven't read. It annoys me so much that I am reading them in order of their arrival on my device just to get them off there. I add more every couple of days, at a rate faster than I can read them. The manage your Kindle feature on Amazon is very slow and cumbersome to use if you have lots of books on there, which is why my unread books are on my Kindle, kind of like an always nagging me to do list.
I agree with going to Amazon to their TOP FREE 100 KINDLE books. I have only ever paid for ONE book.....they hooked me by giving the first 3 of 4 in the series for free. I then paid $4 for the last book. I have about 200 books on my kindle and like RoughCollie I have discovered books, genres, and authors I would have never otherwise read. Often 1/2 of more of the top 100 are "smut" books as a friend of mine calls them but there are some very very good ones there. The list changes hourly and some books are only on the list as free for a very short time or for a limited number of downloads so check frequently and if you see something you like, download it right away. You can always delete later.

I will try both of these ideas. I'm normally a really careful person about money, but lately I've just been going nuts with all the deals. I've been collecting books for me, DH, and DD. God knows how many I have. Mostly classics.

Thanks for understanding!

I warned you that about 1/2 of them are "smut" books as my friend refers to them. That said, just quickly scan the titles/covers and that rules out about 90% or more of the things you don't want. If in question, read a few reviews, and that will give you a better idea. If you start reading and it isn't up to your standards, just hit delete.

I have only had to do that once or twice for an inappropriate book and then a few more time for books that just didn't interest me. The rest were great though and FREE.

You did warn me. I just didn't expect them to be THAT graphic. And I'm not much of a prude, or maybe I am. :blush:

I think I found about 35 books for free that were either interesting children's books or classics. And I barely got through the first 100 pages of 400 before DD needed me.

(Though I must admit that some of the titles on that list made me blush!!!)

On ereaderiq, you can block adult content before looking at the free Kindle books. You can also sort the free books by genre and reviews, etc.

You can also join and they will send updates, based on your search parameters, to your email every day.

Kindle nation daily also has tons of free books organized by genre.

My parents are on the same Amazon account so we can share kindle books. Somehow their credit card got set to our one click and I managed to buy over $100 worth of books before anyone realized. Oops! Luckily Dad just said Merry Christmas and laughed.

This is the quick link that I use for Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-eBooks/zgbs/digital-text/154606011 It shows 10 books on a page so goes quicker. You can get more books by clicking on the links on the left for specific genres, etc.

I don't like wading through the explicit stuff either but I have found some great books on there.