Menu

The Ming and I for dd?

amo_mea_filiis.

I am having a hard time keeping dd interested in new books and keeping them appropriate! This is not fun at all.

She is finishing up the seekers series and has now run out of interesting series in the children's section. :(

We had a run in with a bad YA book last week, and this says a LOT because i let a lot go. More than i should.

Anyway, she found The Ming and I and is interested because it has a cat on the cover. I read the description and find it funny that this takes place in North Carolina.

My understanding is that its about family secrets and murder. The main character is dating a tall, dark and handsome dectective.

Is there anything really bad in this book? I dont mind love scenes as long as they follow the twilight pattern (kiss...fade to next scene with shredded pillows). I'm ok with the idea of a killing as long as its not graphic.

You guys gave a great suggestion of the evolution of Calpurnia Tate and dd loved it. So when she finishes seekers, and possibly this Ming and i, what should i have her read next? A big plus if it has lots of animals.

I'm guessing she's probably already read these...

Redwall series

Guardians of Ga'hoole series

Warriors series

The Golden Compass series has animals.

If she likes horses, she might like "I am the Great Horse" and "I Rode a Horse of Milk-White Jade".

Will have to look in my dd's room for books w/ animals. She loves stuff like that, always has. Also, does your dd like non-fiction? My dd goes to the non-fiction animal section of the library & selects bundles of books -- about various dog breeds, rats, ferrets, etc....

My oldest dd is 14 now and has loved the Warriors, which like a previous poster, I am assuming your dd has read.

A few other series she has enjoyed are: The Named ( about prehistoric cats ). http://www.amazon.com/Rathas-Creature-First-Book-Named/dp/1936917017/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354747692&sr=8-1&keywords=ratha+series

Wolves of the Beyond http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Wolf-Wolves-Beyond-Book/dp/0545093112/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354753008&sr=1-5&keywords=wolves+of+the+beyond

The Cat Pack books (This is recommended by my 11dd as well.) http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Escape-Cat-Pack/dp/0689874073/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354753264&sr=1-1&keywords=the+grand+escape+by+phyllis+reynolds+naylor

THese last two are not series books but are some books about cats that she has really liked. http://www.amazon.com/Tygrine-Cat-Inbali-Iserles/dp/076363798X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354753132&sr=1-1&keywords=the+tygrine+cat

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Master-Bonnie-Pemberton/dp/0761453407/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354753385&sr=1-1&keywords=the+cat+master

If you are considering adult books The Cat Who books by Lillian Jackson Braun might be enjoyable for her. My 11 year old dd has enjoyed some of these on audio and my oldest has read several. They are mostly cozy type mysteries in which a reporter and his two Siamese cats solve mysteries. Some are better than others for the kids and their are some adult themes and situations but most are handled delicately. His male cat, Koko, always manages to help out with the mysteries.

I am not sure how to attach links properly so I hope these work. Amazon has all of the books mentioned if the links don't work. Hope this helps. My girls were eager to share some of their favorites.

Cindy

Yeah, that was about how old I was when I finished reading my way through all the children's series and started in on my library's adult SF/Fantasy section. Which I don't really recommend for pre-teens. ;)

I couldn't find a rating on any of the websites like commonsense media, but the author is Mennonite, if that makes you feel better. ;)

Thank you for the recommendations! She has read the warriors series and moved right into seekers.

I wasnt planning on moving her to any adult books, but a lot of the YA seem to be trying too hard (with sex, bad language).

She's read Pride and Prejudice (her choice) but has no interest in anything else I've planned, and i dont want to kill her love of reading by pushing what i want her reading.

Hmmm... I could label a kindle folder with MOM ONLY and put good stuff in there. I know she'll "sneak" titles in that folder.