Menu

Jettison the land line and....?

Susan in KY

Please help me think this through. We are considering buying ipads for the kids, getting rid of our land line, and doing something about my phone plan, which is unlimited but through Virgin Mobile and I haven't been too satisfied with it.

As I was looking through this board, I saw someone who was using the ipad for their phone for $30/mo. How does that work? I am thinking along the lines of getting a mobile hotspot for the house, but would need something really reliable and fast, since dh sometimes telecommutes.

What do you think is the cheapest, most reliable method for doing this? I hate our local phone company and would be thrilled to cut loose from their monopoly in the area while taking care of our growing cellular "needs" as well.

TIA!

bumping this for you. We got rid of our land line, we use our cell phones for calls. Sometimes we use skype for international calls or to video chat. I don't have any answers about the ipad for a phone, but we've gotten along fine with just our cell phones. Bonus, no more sales calls. I also never, ever give out my cell number to stores- I give out my old landline number. If a company really needs to get a hold of me, they can email me.