Menu

Help with Christmas present for DH :)

chepyl

My husband is become a.wonderful gardener. He loves it! We need to learn to do some food preservation, like canning. I want to get him some equipment for Christmas. What do I need, most basic to get started, and is there a good brand?

I am clueless!! I good book would be helpful too!

First, "The Ball Blue book Guide to Preserving," then you need a large pot, mason jars in whatever size you prefer (wide mouth are easier), matching rings and lids.

The "jar tongs" are very helpful so you won't have to reach into the hot water if you are doing water canning. A large mouth funnel is also very helpful.

There are more things one can get but the above are basics IMHO.

Walmart in our area had a whole canning section but at this time of year, it's probably not offered.

Here is a link:

http://non-electric....earch#w=Canning

They usually have canning items year round. The beginner's home canning kit is around $60.00

Well, I'm no help. I haven't got a clue.

But I'm bumping your thread so that some other people (who actually have a clue) will see it. :)

If you change your mind and decide to get him some kind of electronics, I can help you with that!

Edited to add: Apparently, Liz and I were posting at the same time. Happily, she knows about this stuff! I mean, sure, sometimes I buy stuff that comes in cans, but I'm pretty sure that "real" canning involves jars, so again, I am worthless.