Menu

Need advice for friend, colleges where teamwork and creativity is valued

Hi

I am posting for a friend, who is currently a senior in high school at Exeter and is quite unhappy (depressed, to be honest) with her experience there. She feels the students are solely focused on grades and getting into an Ivy League, and they have little time to be her friend, discuss important issues, work together, LIVE. TBH, she is considering leaving Exeter but I think she would stay if she feels there are other alternatives out there for college--she might justu be able to hang in there.

SHe is looking for colleges that might be a fit for her. She is very bright and hardworking, an accomplished glass blower, creative and wants to work WITH fellow students not against them for a grade. The ultra pressure cooker schools I don't think will be a fit for her. She is considering Brown as she can also attend RISD for their arts program. Her parents both went there so she may have a shot, if she can manage to get through her final year at Exeter.

I am going to recommend Colleges that Change Lives. I also recommended she consider a gap year before college.

I have not really delved that much into the college world yet, so was hoping some wise souls here could give me (her) some advice.

Haverford. Small, highly-ranked LAC associated with Swarthmore & Bryn Mawr. (Students can take classes at all three, and I believe they can take some classes at UPenn, too.) Honor code is emphasized in a major way, and the focus seems to be much more on cooperation and community, instead of competition. I recently read a very positive review of Haverford on another list, and it's on my list of possibilities for DS.

RISD is also a fantastic school; my nephew went there and absolutely loved it. He said it's a very close-knit community, and the connections he made in the art world have been invaluable. He currently lives in NYC, and is working for a major artist; in addition to a good salary, he gets full benefits and lots of international travel.

Jackie

It is getting late in the season for admissions - has she done visits or applications? Exeter is going to be a much more intense and competitive experience than most colleges. So, I don't think she has to worry that many college options will be similar because especially if she gets out of the very small group of most highly ranked colleges they won't be. There are so many factors that influence specific schools suggestions (major, region, finances, college activities, etc.) that it is tough to just suggest schools without knowing more. As far as broader themes she may want to consider schools that use alternative or ungraded assessments (Hampshire, New College of Florida, etc.) or programs that allow for a lot of student creativity in designing their course of study (Sarah Lawrence, Marlboro)

Ditto to the suggestion of Colleges That Change Lives.

Also, check out...

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Colleges-Hyper-Intelligent-Self-Directed-Different/dp/1580088392/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354390360&sr=8-5&keywords=colleges+that+change+lives