Menu

Middle son came out

Middle son told us he "came out" as a homeschooler a URoc recently... It went like this...

He had a pre-med adviser interview. The adviser asked for his schedule (Bio, Chem, Calc, and a Brain and Cognitive Science class) and went:

Adviser: "Wow!... Why are you taking 3 natural sciences and math as a freshman if you want pre-med? What are your grades in these classes?

Middle son: "All high As."

Adviser: "Wow! Where did you go to school again?"

MS: "I'm homeschooled..."

Adviser: "Wow! (pause) So, if you don't mind my asking... how are you adjusting to college coming from homeschooling?"

MS told us he was a little stymied by this question considering the adviser now knew his grades, but went on to tell him he was doing fine and mentioned all the other things he's involved with - his work study job, ASL, starting to get involved in research, etc.

So... perhaps another person has had their stereotype of homeschoolers busted.

He still hasn't told his profs yet, but he knows at least one has a negative stereotype. He plans to tell them AFTER he has his A in the books. He has a good, ongoing, relationship with this prof already. The "coming out" will likely be quite a shock to the prof. I kind of wish I could be a fly on the wall. (NOTE: He hasn't developed the relationship in order to "come out" as a shock. It's just because he likes what they are studying. He had planned on telling the prof before, BUT he overheard him speak to another homeschooler who admitted to homeschooling and the prof was rather negative about it...)

And from a purely mercenary standpoint I'm delighted, as well. UR is on our kid's shortlist, so having a brilliant, well-spoken homeschooler just a few years ahead can only help, right? :)

I would think it shouldn't hurt, but my guy isn't "the first." I took time to thank the Dean of Admissions at one Parent's Receptions we went to and he told me that URoc has had homeschoolers come and do great as long as they are well-prepared, so admissions seems to be clued in. I'm glad others went before us breaking that ice.

Wonderful! I wish you could be a fly on the wall when the negative professor finds out. Priceless! A true kodak moment, and definitely one of those "Trill of victory" moments. Faith

A nice connection with Kodak having their Rochester roots. ;) I do wonder what the prof will say/think. After working in a ps, I'm not naive enough to think one student can change a whole stereotype, but perhaps he can put cracks in it just a little.

Wonderful. I occasionally have homeschooled students who tend to come out when they learn that I am homeschooling my kids. None of them would have give cause to a negative opinion about homeschooling.

I think those of us who homeschool are more likely to look at the whole spectrum. The problem can lie with those who tend to notice the poor examples and assume those make up the whole pool. They have probably had contact with other homeschoolers and never known it since many do tend to stay in the closet (except with close friends). After a senior graduated last year I informed some teachers that one of our top students was homeschooled prior to high school. Most never knew. I didn't want to "out" him while he was still in school as one never knows when the stereotype will affect a judgment. It shouldn't, but it can.

Your post title had me :svengo: at first, which I'm sure was your intention! :lol: Well done to your ds, and to you! You've obviously done a wonderful job of preparing him for life outside the homeschool closet. :D

We can do all the preparing, but there's still the "anxiety" on my part wondering if we did enough or if I made the right decision or if he would be able to handle a higher level school or if he would get distracted by the partying, etc, or if... Yeah, the "or ifs" do all run on in the mind like that. I can say I feel more confident now, but it's only after seeing college results for both my older boys.

I love stories like this. ..Now can I ask a dumb question? Why did the advisor ask the reason for 3 science+math as a freshman wanting pre-med? What would his idea of a normal schedule contain?

URoc is interesting that they only allow fall semester freshman to take 4 classes (each are 4 hours, Chem is 5) as they want the transition to be smooth. It's actually a good idea. Many of these students come in being at the top of their game and suddenly they are hit with having to actually study as the depth gets quite a bit harder than what they've seen before AND they suddenly have tons of freedom. It can be a grade lowering, eye-opening experience for many. Actually, it usually is.

Chem, Calc, and Bio are well-known to be Pre-med weeder classes because if students can't get an A in those, many will drop out of the pre-med race. URoc suggests students take two, but not three of these. They suggest the freshman writing class, then they suggest they put in an easy class for the 4th - all designed to preserve that all-important pre-med GPA.

My guy and I talked about it, but we decided the best time to take Bio, Chem, and Calc was right after having the pre-req courses in high school. He assured me he was up to the challenge, so we tried it. Others HAD done it before - he's not the first - but it's not what they recommend. He did have AP levels of these classes in high school, but honestly? He still needs to study a bit since the courses are so much more in depth (well, except Calc, but even that has some tougher problems). He is putting the work in. It surprises me that they consider the Brain and Cognitive class to be another toughie. Middle son loves it. However, he also has mentioned that he's more prepared for it than most taking it since he did Anatomy last year too.

It is working and he has no regrets (I asked), but it's not a good choice for everyone if you think the transfer to dorm life and college will be tough on the student. The average grade for each class has been a C or B (and remember, these were top students at their respective schools). He's been putting the effort in to get his As. Not everyone does. In pre-med, it's deadly if they don't.