Menu

OPGTR Grade levels?

MeaganS

All I know is that it takes the child to a 4th grade reading level. Before that it was hard to pin down what easy readers (other than Bob books & the like) to supplement with, especially once we got past the standard cvc-words.

I sometimes wish there was an easy online test I could give my kid that would tell me their reading level and what books (or better, easy-reader series) corresponds with that level.

:)

All I know is that it takes the child to a 4th grade reading level. Before that it was hard to pin down what easy readers (other than Bob books & the like) to supplement with, especially once we got past the standard cvc-words.

I sometimes wish there was an easy online test I could give my kid that would tell me their reading level and what books (or better, easy-reader series) corresponds with that level.

:)

:iagree:

HOP K level covers CVC words and a few sight words. That's OPG up to lesson 40 (sections 1-3.)

HOP Levels 2 & 3 (orange and red) are suppose to be 1st grade. Both deal mostly with consonant blends, OPG lesson 41-63 (sections 4 & 5.)

HOP Levels 4 & 5 (green and blue) are suppose to be 2nd grade. They cover R-changed vowels, which is started in lesson 154 of OPG (section 16), but they don't cover most of OPG's section 15 (Silent letters.) HOP also introduces compound words in level 4, when OPG doesn't until Section 17 (out of 25 sections total in OPG.) HOP 4 mostly cover silent-E words, vowel pairs, plus R-controlled words, and introduces smaller compound words at the end (plus more sight words than OPG.) HOP 5 covers more, less common vowel pairs, plus shr, str, scr, spr, spl, squ, and soft sounds of c and g, which were already covered in sections 6 & 7 of OPG.

I would consider anything in OPG Lesson 134 (section 15) and up to be 3rd and 4th grade.

I hope that helps!

Added 12/6: this inspired me to make a blog post about how OPGTR and HOP compare. It contains more in-depth information than this post, for those interested.

:iagree:

HOP K level covers CVC words and a few sight words. That's OPG up to lesson 40 (sections 1-3.)

HOP Levels 2 & 3 (orange and red) are suppose to be 1st grade. Both deal mostly with consonant blends, OPG lesson 41-63 (sections 4 & 5.)

HOP Levels 4 & 5 (green and blue) are suppose to be 2nd grade. They cover R-changed vowels, which is started in lesson 154 of OPG (section 16), but they don't cover most of OPG's section 15 (Silent letters.) HOP also introduces compound words in level 4, when OPG doesn't until Section 17 (out of 25 sections total in OPG.) HOP 4 mostly cover silent-E words, vowel pairs, plus R-controlled words, and introduces smaller compound words at the end (plus more sight words than OPG.) HOP 5 covers more, less common vowel pairs, plus shr, str, scr, spr, spl, squ, and soft sounds of c and g, which were already covered in sections 6 & 7 of OPG.

I would consider anything in OPG Lesson 134 (section 15) and up to be 3rd and 4th grade.

I hope that helps!

Thanks! That is very helpful.

I don't know if this helps at all. I showed the HOP 2nd grade levels to a friend of my who is a 2nd grade teacher. I wanted to know if the HOP 2nd grade level was really a 2nd grade reading level. She said that it looked to be about a mid 2nd grade level. In other words the HOP levels seem to be pretty true to the grade levels. Just in case that helps with the comparison that theYounderMrsWarde made. Thank you for asking the question, the answers have all been very helpful.