Menu

We got our assessment results back...

I have always known my 9yo son was incredibly bright, but his behavior has blocked much of my view - if that makes any sense. He has been in public school until 3rd grade, when I pulled him. This year, 4th grade, with behavior issues out of the way - my child is flourishing and I am seeing elements of his intellect I wasn't able to see before.

We only did an assessment because it is required for the state. Sitting still and filling in bubbles is like torture for this guy. I am suspecting ADHD, though I have fought against that for years saying it is intense anxiety... but honestly, at this point ... I am not certain it isn't ADHD. So really, this was the first time ever he has performed on a test with focus. I actually filled in the bubbles for him, we took a LOT of breaks between sections, stretched it out over four days. I did the ITBS test only because it was a simple procedure, and I did the CogAT as well (which he thought was so much fun).

He did really well. My husband is deployed and I don't have anyone to share with! I feel sort of surprised, yet validated in some ways? (See, he IS smart ... even if you can't see past his inability to sit in a chair for more than five minutes..... :) ) But I don't really know who I can share with IRL without sounding like I am bragging. I know you guys understand!

His ability profile is 9A, with a composite of 133. I don't exactly know what that means. He is in the 99th percentile in nearly everything, and overall scored an average of 10.2 GE (the range was 10/11 across the board with one 8.2 in punctuation - the holidays got him, hah ... to one 13+ in usage/exp<b></b>ression). He took the 4th grade test, which almost feels like cheating given the fact we are working in grade level material above that? But that is what I was advised to do since he is 9.

I feel so proud of him - mostly because doing his best on this test was a huge milestone for him. I cringe thinking about him taking this test in a classroom full of kids with an impatient teacher! I felt like for so long I was the only one who really saw it, if that makes sense.

Thank you so much for letting me share. :D