Menu

Reddit on Homeschooling

That was an interesting discussion, and with comments generally at a higher level than the usual internet free-for-all on home education.

This comment stood out for me:

<<Bonus: I was light years ahead academically because the public school system, for all its mythical ability to teach social skills, is far and away the worst way to teach everything else.>>

As a teacher, I can easily say that if you reduced class sizes in a public school to THREE students per teacher, and if each of those students had parents who cared so much about their child's education that they'd give up their careers, those students would receive an amazing education.

------------------------

I've heard this frequently from defenders of school education, and it always puzzles me. It seems to be saying that if public schools were constitutionally different than they are, their results would match that of home education. And for those of us who never saw matters as "school at home vs. public school" but rather "tutoring vs. classroom education," it seems to cede the whole game.

I can't imagine anyone actually leaving high school and living in the real world for longer than five minutes and still actually believing that the high school social structure is in any way relevant to life after high school.

Lots of people from my highschool class still live that way. In the same town, seeing the same people every day, working the same fast food jobs and going to the game shop every weekend to play Warhammer. My 10 year reunion is coming up...

I can't imagine anyone actually leaving high school and living in the real world for longer than five minutes and still actually believing that the high school social structure is in any way relevant to life after high school.

It is pretty similar when they go to factory jobs. They get there at 7am, work until they get lunch break, have a couple of bathroom breaks, get off at 3, spend their paycheck every Friday, and start over again on Monday.

Oldest son worked in one for a summer job and it inspired him to be doing other things other summers while he is getting his degree. ;)

There are oodles and oodles of people with stereotypes about homeschoolers. The only way that will change is (possibly) when they meet homeschoolers who don't fit their stereotype. That doesn't always change much though. Many will just dismiss someone else as a rare exception, but any crack in the ice is a plus.