Menu

Lial's and Dolciani Prealgebra

The answer to this question will vary per family and possibly per child as the writing styles as well as methods of instruction vary quite a bit. We weren't fond of Lials Pre-A after purchasing and reviewing it. This is mainly due to its very busy and distracting layout. *However* there are other families here who seem to really like it.

Used copies of these books are pretty affordable. IMO you will be the best judge of this for your dc once you pick up a copy or can view it somewhere online. I think there were online samples someone posted of these texts floating around. However I have seen used Dolciani books starting at $1. Lials the same - http://www.alibris.c...h?qwork=5298299.

I'll probably pick up a Dolciani copy even though we already have a Pre-A spine which we really like in TabletClass. Its good to have other perspectives of the same subject when your child hits a road block. We also have MUS Pre-A as well, but don't find it as strong in terms of breadth or depth as some of the other options.

We weren't fond of Lials Pre-A after purchasing and reviewing it. This is mainly due to its very busy and distracting layout.

Yes, busy, and at least the copy I got has shiny paper. It looks very sturdy, but my 50+ year old eyes would not like to spend hour after hour on it. Plus, if you make light pencil marks in the margin, they do NOT erase well at all.

Just FYI.

I'm going to look for the Dol cheap to eyeball. I already bagged some beaten up NEM to compare. Nothing like a hands on look-see. Math is such a ........ demanding, time-consuming subject, I **really** want a good fit for us. Goal: learn it not burn it.