Menu

Descartes' Cove, Ko's Journey

dbmamaz

So, this is on sale through the end of the year 40% off. I'm debating it.

My 9 yo is working on LOF decimals, and I was considering doing Ko's Journey after that, which is $32 at HBC right now. It looks really fun

But Descartes Cove is a lot more . . . and of course, a lot more money, tho only $90 right now. But it also looks a lot less fun and less likely to engage my very silly, very young 9 yo.

Any thoughts?

The discount is in orange letters two places on this page

Guest MyOwnStyle

hadn't heard of Descarte's Cove before, so thanks for that. My 9yo son played through Ko's journey this fall and loved, loved it. He played it daily for about 8 days and then it was over. That was it. But it was only $20 and it was a great break for him from other math work, and helped him to enjoy math for more reasons. The program has exceptionally pleasant music to it and the "voice" of the guide or whoever is cool, too. Why do so many math programs have arcade-like annoying sounds? Thankfully this one doesn't. Just my 2 cents.

• 6 months later...

I bought Descartes' Cove about a year ago. My boys played it some, but really weren't very into it. My younger ds is the one who is more attracted to computer stuff. I just asked him what he thought of Descartes' Cove. He said that he would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. He thought it was pretty hard. Just FYI, when we got it he had completed Singapore Primary through 5B and had started on AOPS prealgebra. I'm now inspired to go find it and get him to try it again.

• 3 weeks later...

DS8 finished Ko's journey today, and I purchased Descartes Cove for the 40% deal they have going on right now.  It was still $100+ with shipping.  Ouch!  Hopefully it's worth it.

Moonlight if your son is still stuck on the last problem please pm me.  It was really tricky.  Most of Ko's journey DS could do on his own, but he needed help for the last part.  They seemed to present it in the most confusing way possible.

Final thoughts, it seems that they've changed all of the assessment questions from what's on the game compared to what's in the educator's guide.  In the guide it shows straight forward multiple choice questions, but in the actual game they are open-ended writing problems.  I'm not sure why that is.  Does that have something to do with Common Core?

I emailed Ko's journey with my question about the assessment questions, and they never got back to me.

But my DS did get a lot of fractions, decimals, percentages, long division and geometry review out of the experience.  So all in all, I'm a happy customer.

I wondered about Descartes Cove when I saw the sale price.   I'm hesitant since it says grades 6-8.  My child is only a 5th grader but he's already finished AoPS Alg I and is almost done with AoPS Intro to Number Theory.  I'm wondering if Descartes Cove would be too easy.  He might still enjoy it - but I want him to actually learn something if I pay that kind of money.

Descartes' Cove came in the mail today.  Wow!  I'm not sure it's worth full price, but I think it's totally worth the 40% off price.  The first 3 discs are for grades 6-8.  Then the next three take you through Algebra, Geometry, Reasoning and Proof.  So we're going to get several summers out of this purchase.  I also like it a lot better than Ko's journey (so far).  DS has played about an hour so far, and I was watching over he shoulder almost the whole time.