Menu

If you use IEW SWI-A...

golfcartmama

Very little each day. First day we read and discuss the selection and work on the kwo. Day 2 we test the kwo, can ds tell back the story in his own words. That has helped his presentation skills which are used during CC (other parents have commented so we think it is working). We might also brainstorm a bit, dicussing opportunities to us the dress ups we've covered. Day three is his opportunity to write a draft. I'll read it later that day or the next and mark some edits. We discuss and a final is written.

All-in-all, it's very little writing per day but there is an activity each day.

First day takes us 30-45 minutes or so. After that, it's maybe 15-20ish? Though I'm not as involved after the first day. The teacher intensive part is going over the KWO, brainstorming dressups, etc. The other days involve the kids writing, so you just need to be available to help with spelling or questions.

I'm leading a co-op class that is using IEW SWI-A. The co-op meets every other week for 1.5 hours. So far, I've been able to have ds work on his assignment the week that the lesson is due. He usually spends a couple of days on it. One will be for the writing and the other for revisions, and he might spend 45 minutes to an hour the first day, but less the second. The length of time depends on the length of the assignment. The class in in Unit 3, so these assignments are going to take longer. I may need to do it over 3-4 days instead of two. I allowed him to retell Lesson 7's story to me, and I wrote it down for him. That saved some time, too. Ds tends to get more frustrated with the writing it than the coming up with the story.