Menu

What's with the ads?

Renthead Mommy

I need a 'catastrophic' book suggestion for book club.

I read The Girl with All the Gifts and found it compelling. Its pretty similar to Stephen King -- it doesn't have an especially sophisticated writing style, but it's an exciting story that was really hard to put down. It's going to be turned into a movie soon apparently.

My 13 yr old liked it too.

Speaking of zombies...  :zombie:  Zombie thread.

I love book rec zombie threads! Or any book rec thread, really. 

• Like 2

December's theme is "catastrophic" in honor of the end of the Mayan calendar and the supposed doomsday.

I wouldn't mind a plauge type book, but I want a mondern day one, not a 1300's black plauge type. Something more "the Stand" like I could work with.

I love "The Walking Dead". It is so much more about the struggle for survival than the zombies. I would love something like that in book form. (And yes I know it is a GN, but that won't exactly cut it for a book club! LOL!)

I am open to ideas. Suggest away!

If you are open to Christian books, I just read Last Light by Terri Blackstock and it is definitely catastrophic in modern days: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Light-Restoration-Book-1-ebook/dp/B000FCKH9C/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446503551&sr=1-4&keywords=Last+Light

(SOMETHING happens and nothing electricity works anymore, is the basic premise)

If Christian books are not acceptable, you might look at Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler.  I learned about it here, on the WTM boards, and it is very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Parable-Sower-Octavia-E-Butler-ebook/dp/B008HALO4Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446503648&sr=1-1&keywords=parable+of+the+sower+by+octavia+butler

Sigh. And I didn't notice the date.