Menu

Advice needed: Moving from Saxon to Foerster or Lial

Please bear with me for another math question!

If I were to switch from Saxon's math series to either Foerster or Lial, I am wondering when the transition should occur. For example, the first course that I see Foerster offer is Algebra I. Would it be best to move to Algebra I after Saxon's 8/7 or after 7/6?

For Lial, the first course that I see offered is a "Pre-Algebra" course. So I would ask the same question: Would it be best to begin Lial's Pre-Algebra after Saxon's 8/7 or after 7/6?

If background info is helpful, my child has been very successful with Saxon, but I would like a different approach for the upcoming levels.

Thank you all so much for your time and input! I feel like we are in a whole new homeschooling world in these upcoming years. There is a lot to learn!

With much appreciation,

AmeliaB in MO :)

DD was having major troubles once she got to Saxon 8/7 (learning style issue) so we switched half way to Lial's Basic College Math (it is an alternate Pre-Algebra text). DD went right into Lial's Introductory Algebra after that.

After Saxon 7/6 work either 8/7 or BCM.

8/7 would also prepare a student for Introductory Algebra.

My math oriented son finished Saxon 8/7 and then progressed to Harold Jacob's Algebra I (I did not own a Foerster text at that point in time). He has now completed Foerster's AlgebraII/Trig this past year. I have found that providing a strong math foundation during their junior-high years is vital before moving on to higher math (Foerster, Jacob's and other math authors assume a student has that). Build a strong foundation before the house, so to speak.

My other child, a non-math student, finished Saxon's 8/7 and Pre-Algebra texts. She will begin Algebra I with Harold Jacob's this fall. Her basic math foundation is now stronger.

Home schooling allows the parent to meet each student's needs. With that said I have learned - often the hard way :)- what one curriculum works with one child is not as effective with another. Sigh.

This was our first year homeschooling. Dd 13 was in Everyday Math through 5th grade in ps. She placed into Algebra 1/2 on the Saxon placement test, but it was recommended that we do Saxon 8/7 so we started with that. The concepts came easily and so much was review but dd just hated it. I finally decided to stop at just over half of the book. Then we did Math U See Pre-algebra which was a breeze for her and we finished the book in less than three months. Then we did the first two chapters of Foerster's Algebra 1 before stopping for standardized testing at the end of the year. Foerster's Algebra 1 went extremely well and I will continue with it but I keep wondering if we're missing something or if we have a strong enough foundation because we moved through some things so quickly and didn't finish Saxon 8/7. I've thought about Lial's BCM but looking at the scope and sequence on Amazon, it seems like we've covered that already.

Will I ruin dd forever if we've missed something?

Is there a magic way to tell if there's something more we need to do before continuing with Algebra?

Kelli

This was our first year homeschooling. Dd 13 was in Everyday Math through 5th grade in ps. She placed into Algebra 1/2 on the Saxon placement test, but it was recommended that we do Saxon 8/7 so we started with that. The concepts came easily and so much was review but dd just hated it. I finally decided to stop at just over half of the book. Then we did Math U See Pre-algebra which was a breeze for her and we finished the book in less than three months. Then we did the first two chapters of Foerster's Algebra 1 before stopping for standardized testing at the end of the year. Foerster's Algebra 1 went extremely well and I will continue with it but I keep wondering if we're missing something or if we have a strong enough foundation because we moved through some things so quickly and didn't finish Saxon 8/7. I've thought about Lial's BCM but looking at the scope and sequence on Amazon, it seems like we've covered that already.

Will I ruin dd forever if we've missed something?

Is there a magic way to tell if there's something more we need to do before continuing with Algebra?

Kelli

Kelli, if you moved through the first two chapters of Foerster's, and it went extremely well, I'd continue on that path. Your dd sounds math-bright. If you feel you need extra help in presenting the lessons in Foerster's, I'd take a look at Math Without Borders This CD program gives you presentation of the lessons in Foerster's that go beyond what is in the text.

I still have doubts about dd and math and am curious to see her CAT results. And, I still have doubts about myself and my ability to educate well (new hser syndrome?). Dd does have a hormone thing going on, in addition to being somewhat ditzy and unmotivated. This clouds my perception of her ability. But, she REALLY is a lovely child, REALLY!:001_smile:

I still have doubts about dd and math and am curious to see her CAT results. And, I still have doubts about myself and my ability to educate well (new hser syndrome?). Dd does have a hormone thing going on, in addition to being somewhat ditzy and unmotivated. This clouds my perception of her ability. But, she REALLY is a lovely child, REALLY!:001_smile:

Kelli, I know what you mean about the hormone thing. They really do get foggy at that age. I saw it w/my own dd.

I don't know how much the CAT scores are really a good indicator for Algebra readiness. My dd took the 7th gr CAT and scored a 90% on Math Computation and a 98% on Math Concepts, and yet she is still having a bit of trouble adjusting to Algebra. It leads me to believe it is a matter of maturity and pure math ability. JMHO based on my own experience.