Menu

Cloud Atlas (the movie)

Has anyone seen it?

I read the book about a month ago because I wanted to finish the book before seeing the movie. Dh & I saw the movie last week & I'm glad I got to see it (esp. on a big screen). Lovely to look at. Loved the music too. Fun to see it in film form after reading the book. I do think that reading the book first helps, in this case, as it covers six storylines through different time periods. I also enjoyed seeing the various ways the actors were remade to play different characters. (For example, during the movie, I didn't even recognize Hugh Grant as one of the characters -- Kona warrior -- he plays.)

Trailer is here:

http://cloudatlas.warnerbros.com/videos.php

After reading the book, I decided not to go see the movie. I'll wait for the DVD. I thought much of the writing in the book was good, but the overall feel was pretentious. For me it was preachy and vaguely condescending.

I'm glad to hear you thought it well done.

I saw it and really enjoyed it. There were a few parts where I thought they stretched a little too far in the makeup department (mostly making non-Asian actors into Asian characters and vice versa), but I liked the way they had a core group of actors throughout the time periods. I thought it tied the story together well. I didn't read the book first, and actually ordered the book after seeing the movie, but I haven't started it yet. I didn't find the different storylines hard to follow, but I'm sure it's different for everyone. The soundtrack was lovely.

I saw it and really enjoyed it. There were a few parts where I thought they stretched a little too far in the makeup department (mostly making non-Asian actors into Asian characters and vice versa), but I liked the way they had a core group of actors throughout the time periods. I thought it tied the story together well. I didn't read the book first, and actually ordered the book after seeing the movie, but I haven't started it yet. I didn't find the different storylines hard to follow, but I'm sure it's different for everyone. The soundtrack was lovely.