Menu

HOD with R&S Spelling?

joyfulhomeschooler

Does anyone do this? The dictation is a little easy for my older guy and we've been doing spelling power as well as the dictation, but only twice a week. He really liked R&S spelling in 2nd grade and it seems more independant (which I could use more of at this time in our life) so can this work? How many days a week do you do it? Do you do it on top of dictation?

My 7yo dd is doing Bigger along with Rod & Staff Spelling 3 because she was beyond the dictation included in the manual. I do not do the dictation at all as scheduled in the guide. We do R&S spelling 4 days a week. I split the workbook up over 3 days and then do the test on the fourth day. It works well for us, and I appreciate that she can do it all on her own with the exception of test days.

I use R&S with HOD. It gives them more spelling rules and syllabication and it gets them to greek/latin roots earlier. I also like the "directions" part of the program and reading the words in cursive. All around good practice. I dictate our Bible verses for dictation and make dd write the sentences I created for the R&S test as opposed to testing via list.

I use R&S with HOD. It gives them more spelling rules and syllabication and it gets them to greek/latin roots earlier. I also like the "directions" part of the program and reading the words in cursive. All around good practice. I dictate our Bible verses for dictation and make dd write the sentences I created for the R&S test as opposed to testing via list.

Great advice! I like him doing dictation but know that it isn't challenging his spelling ability. This would allow for dictation and increased word difficulty! Thanks!

We use both the HOD dictation and R&S Spelling. I guess I just want to cover all the bases. Just for your info., if the levels in Bigger are too easy, you can get the book they based their dictation on free on the internet. It's called Dictation Day By Day. Then you could move him up to a level that challenges him. I think there are eight levels total.

I think this is the link I used to download it. http://books.google.com/books/about/Dictation_day_by_day.html?id=RdMAAAAAYAAJ

Great advice! I like him doing dictation but know that it isn't challenging his spelling ability. This would allow for dictation and increased word difficulty! Thanks!

We had zero spelling challenge as well. Now R&S words could be harder, but the work itself makes it that level. But there's no reason you can't test out of a lesson or move to the next level completely.

I didn't find Dictation to be any spelling challenge. The grammar just got more difficult which is why we don't use it.