Menu

Looking for free patterns for stuffed animals and rag dolls

Do any of you know any good books or websites where we could find these? We're combining craft time with stewardship/frugalness this year and my girls are interested in making gifts for their cousins next Christmas. I thought it would be wise to start now as sewing isn't their greatest passion. They can listen to books on tape or things such as grammar CDs when they're sewing straight seams and we'll be multitasking, lol.

I Googled and came up with these websites. Rag doll. Fascinating Japanese website with patterns for dolls and pictures of how to make them. Here is an index of links to websites that offer free doll patterns. Guess I'm going in reverse order here, because this looks like a good beginner pattern of a scottie dog made of felt. (Felt would be the easiest for children to start with since the edges don't fray.)

Most libraries have books on how to make rag dolls and cloth animals, and most of the books have patterns you can trace. The books are helpful because of the directions they give and the pictures.

Check bookstores too, including used bookstores. All you really need is one good book to get started.

My dd has made creatures out of the following books;

Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-off Socks and Gloves by Miyako Kanamori

Plush-o-Rama: Curious Creatures for Immature Adults by Linda Kopp

she then ended up taking some of the ideas and creating her owm plush creatures, and they are adorable. Fleece is super easy to work with and we found some great deals so it is quite affordable, too. Have fun with your project.

LauraD in MN

http://www.naturalearthfarm.com/shop/index.php?cPath=62

I knitted these for my toddler nieces for Christmas. They are great fun to make, very simple and my nieces still play with them three years on. It is only two dollars to download the pattern. She also did a pattern for little rucksacks and socks for them (really cute!). I am sure she would send you these if you asked.

Warning: these are highly addictive and I made five altogether with various hats.

Have fun!

Do any of you know any good books or websites where we could find these? We're combining craft time with stewardship/frugalness this year and my girls are interested in making gifts for their cousins next Christmas. I thought it would be wise to start now as sewing isn't their greatest passion. They can listen to books on tape or things such as grammar CDs when they're sewing straight seams and we'll be multitasking, lol.

I have the following books that have some simple ideas. You might be able to find them in you local library.

Scrap Saver's Bazaar Stitchery by Foose

Dollmaker's Workshop by Guild

Creating & Crafting Dolls by Piper & Dulligan

~Holly