Menu

Options

pree

Hi,

I am new to homeschooling, my DS is going to be 9 yrs old next month ( I got it right, I am embarrassed to say this but I always think he is much older than he really is, and when he corrects me I will literally be shocked every time).

We are pulling him out of public school to be homeschooled.

I am not very much interested in radical acceleration , so what are the other options for a fast and curious leaner.

Welcome! I think you will find that many people here prefer to learn deep rather that just keep going forward. I have learned it all depends on my children and sometimes they need to get some deeper learning and sometimes they want new material. It took me a while to learn how to gauge that, but after 3 years of homeschooling we are getting there. My advice would be to let you child lead some. (obviously you are still in ;)charge) My children have spent time with many projects in depth that I would not have necessarily picked out- simple machines, the city of ancient Rome, making a computer program for identifying animal tracks (that child is older) the list goes on and on.

Take a deep breath as you start. It is a bit of a wild ride, and at times I want to get off!:) But truly it is worth it!

Kathy

When I started homeschooling, i kinda approached it one subject at a time. Depending on why you are pulling him out of school, you might want to start slow - take a few trips to local museums and historical sites, go to the library and get a bunch of books.

I figure you always need a plan for math, because thats a skill that has to keep building. For curriculum, i like singapore, and they have placement tests, but my younger one ended up not liking curriculum - check out the livingmath.net website, and they also have a yahoo discussion group. Definitely start with some fun math readers in the library - Polar Bear Math was my son's fave - we checked it out over and over. If he likes geometry, the Sir Cumference series is great.

Science and history are good ones to be student-led if he has strong ideas about what he is interested in. English - depends on where he is. You could check out the Micheal Clay Thompson curriculum which is aimed at gifted kids. Or Bravewriter, which is more of an approach of how to be a writing coach to your kids.