Menu

The Teaching Company courses?

There have been numerous threads on the high school board about TTC. The ladies there have shared opinions about what they've used and how they've used it. There is lots of good info to be had with a little searching.

We have used several of them and will be using some next year too. They are a great resource. Usually they are used as a suppliment, but you could build a complete course around some of them.

Hi, Jennifer! Thanks, btw, for your dear comments yesterday. YOu are always so sweet...we "do" need to get together!!!

We have experience with the Teaching Company's Basic Math Course. I am happy with it. It is reminiscent of sitting in a college class, listening to a lecture. My boys and I get a laugh out of the occasional glimpses of the "class" on the videos. They look very lackluster and unmotivated and bored (LOL)> I always tell that those students remind me of them :o).

This course is a what I would consider as a semester course. The level would vary, according to your child. If you have a brilliant math student who is 5th grade level, he would do just fine w/ it. I do like the fact that I can have them learn from someone else who is knowledgeable in teaching the material.

Blessings,

Camy (I hope your son's hand or arm is okay)

Most people use these courses as supplements, not as stand-alone courses. We used the Early American History course (one of their high school courses) for our kids when they were in upper grammar/logic stages. They enjoyed the series. Many of the other courses are billed as college-level, and could easily be over the head of high school students. It really depends on the course content and your own student.

Ria

My 14yo dd and I are using History of the English Language on video. It is 36 lectures, 30 minutes each. We watch them twice a week. The course came with a detailed syllabus that's basically an outline of each lecture with a few questions at the end, as well as objectives for each lecture. We watch the lecture, with much rewinding to hear points again, and then we discuss the objectives and questions. We both take notes. I write, she types on a lap-top. It is college-level, in my opinion, but not college-length, if that makes sense. We're doing it together because we're both fascinated by the topic, and also because she does need help with some of the concepts, but she's understanding it well and enjoying it very much. The professor, Seth Lerer, is very good. I suspect it is even better on the newer DVD set, and obviously much easier to go back and forth, but we got a very good deal on this used VHS set so we were able to afford it. We're using it as part of a course that also includes Book of Roots (Memoria Press - Latin basis for English words) and Our Mother Tongue (grammar). Not sure how I'm going to award credit for it yet. Grammar and History of Language, maybe? One English credit? Haven't figured that out yet.

My dh and I have been wanting to order one or two of these for a while now, and I just found out that through interlibrary loan, I can borrow some of these through our local library system! (Not all, of course...)

We want to try out one of these this way before spending $$$ on them. Good to hear what others think about them! Thanks.

PAM

My dh and I have been wanting to order one or two of these for a while now, and I just found out that through interlibrary loan, I can borrow some of these through our local library system! (Not all, of course...)

We want to try out one of these this way before spending $$$ on them. Good to hear what others think about them! Thanks.

PAM

The library is a good source. Our itty bitty library has many of them and so do the libraries in surrounding districts. Our library carries them in a cassette format and I had to go out and buy a player which I discovered are not easily available anymore. 4 stores later, one was dug up from obscurity, but I have enjoyed listening the cassettes as I drive around.