Menu

Jackdaw substitutes?

Guest MJoyce

Guest MJoyce

Hi,

How easy is it to find primary sources for 5th grade student studying Ancient History? I tried to order Jackdaws but were told by Rainbow Resource they are going out of business. What have others done? This is new territory for me, so, do I just go to the library and ask for, say, primary sources for Ancient Eygpt. Thanks in advance!

MJoyce

I just got an awesome book:

The World in Ancient Times: Primary Sources & Reference Volume by Ronald Mellor & Amanda H. Podany

It arrived today, so I admittedly haven't had a lot of time to read it yet. But, it looks great, has a nice intro that explains the difference between primary & secondary sources, how to go about reading & evaluating a primary or secondary source, etc...

It covers:

The Early Human World

The Ancient Near Eastern World

The Ancient Egyptian World

The Ancient South Asian World

The Ancient Chinese World

The Ancient Greek World

The Ancient Roman World

The Ancient American World

There are 6-10 sources covered in each section I listed.

I figure I will use pull this out to use in conjunction w/ the history as we study it.

If you have additional questions, please let me know, and I'll try to answer.

I just got an awesome book:

The World in Ancient Times: Primary Sources & Reference Volume by Ronald Mellor & Amanda H. Podany

It arrived today, so I admittedly haven't had a lot of time to read it yet. But, it looks great, has a nice intro that explains the difference between primary & secondary sources, how to go about reading & evaluating a primary or secondary source, etc...

It covers:

The Early Human World

The Ancient Near Eastern World

The Ancient Egyptian World

The Ancient South Asian World

The Ancient Chinese World

The Ancient Greek World

The Ancient Roman World

The Ancient American World

There are 6-10 sources covered in each section I listed.

I figure I will use pull this out to use in conjunction w/ the history as we study it.

If you have additional questions, please let me know, and I'll try to answer.

Oh, I want a full review!:D I saw those at RR and have drooled over the description, but I can't justify them for a 1st grader:lol: I can be happy living vicariously through you though until my dc are older.

They're going out of business? I'm sorry to hear that but can't say I'm surprised considering the price. I've almost bought several of them several times but never could justify spending that much money when there are so many documents available online for free. On the other hand, as I found this year, just because there are tons of online primary sources doesn't mean I'll be able to figure out which ones to use. I really, really tried this year to just pull together some primary sources for our Ancient Studies this year. But trying to choose an appropriate selection from Caesar's Gallic Wars or various other sources was time consuming and difficult.

FWIW, we did enjoy reading Pliny the Younger's description of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and the evacuation of Pompeii.

The Jackdaws website doesn't say anything about going out of business. I would think you could still order from there.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared: It can't be. I must call them and find out. I will be beyond bummed. This is one of my favorite companies (which seems to be a good qualifier for extinction lol).

IMHO, even the Jackdaws I've paid full price for have been well worth it. There is something about being able to actually touch the document- not look at it in a book or see it online- especially for young kids. My dd was walking around just yesterday with Ptolemy's Oecumene singing, "The World I Know".

I guess if worse came to worse I could print out my own stuff, but it is so easy to take a Jackdaw pack, let my imagination run wild, and plan some really good studies.

At least 80% of what I fond out there for history especially US History is crap. We need more companies like Jackdaws out there.