Menu

Car Seat question.....

I just realized that DD5 has totally outgrown her Scenera in DH's truck. Like....by over 2" in torso height. She's still under the weight limit by 3-4lbs, but is apparently WAY too tall for it. I had budgeted for a Nautilus for my van, because she has also just about outgrown (by height) the seat in there too. Once preschool picture orders came in, I ordered the Nautilus. It should be here this week.

So, the Nautilus has a harnessed torso height of 18-18.5". Her current torso height is 16".....and she is all leg (44" tall). It has a harnessed weight limit of 60lbs and she is currently 36-37lbs. I, obviously, like the idea of her being harnessed as long as possible and figured she has at least another year harnessed in the Nautilus.

So....now I need a car seat for DH's truck too. I did NOT budget for that at all....and it would have to come out of my very small Christmas budget. $130 would hurt....a lot. But....if I get a TurboBooster instead of a Nautilus for his truck, I could do it for about $30 (via Amazon, with a giftcard for part). She rides in his truck about once a month at most......and it may be less once baby is here, because we won't all fit in there anymore. However, he is definitely the riskier driver between the two of us......and I would feel incredibly guilty knowing that she COULD be harnessed and isn't.

So....tell me it's okay to just put a TurboBooster in DH's truck. It's not like it isn't safe, right? It just isn't the safeST option available to her right now..........right? Ugh. Mommy guilt is the worst.

If she rides that infrequently in his truck, could you just switch the seat from you car to his? We've never bought double car seats and it has worked for us. Just make sure you both know how to install it safely.:001_smile:

Ugh....car seats are a BEAR to get in and out of my van. We use the ones in his truck as the ones we move to grandma's car, etc. And, once we put baby in the car, her seat will be all the way in the back seat, making it even harder to get in and out. I'd rather not, if we have a choice.

She's 5 years old?

I'd get the Turbobooster for her. My son (also 5) is in a high back Turbobooster in the secondary car because we want him learning how to be responsible for his own safety.

He's in a Maestro in my car. i've really loved that seat and its a bit cheaper than a Nautilus.

Yes, she'll be 6 in January.

I'd probably feel okay putting her in a TurboBooster at her age, assuming there is a shoulder belt available for it in your DH's truck.

Oh, wait, I'd hesitate because of her weight. She meets the TurboBooster's weight requirement, but she may not meet your state's weight requirement. In my state, children have to be a full 40 pounds before using a booster of any type.

We have a Maestro and like it a lot. We're actually in a similar discussion about our 4yo -- I need to move his Maestro from DH's car to my van for him very soon so that the 1yo can have the 4yo's current seat -- and I'm not sure what to get the 4yo for DH's car. He's not quite 40 pounds, so a booster might not work for him.

I'd probably feel okay putting her in a TurboBooster at her age, assuming there is a shoulder belt available for it in your DH's truck.

Oh, wait, I'd hesitate because of her weight. She meets the TurboBooster's weight requirement, but she may not meet your state's weight requirement. In my state, children have to be a full 40 pounds before using a booster of any type.

We have a Maestro and like it a lot. We're actually in a similar discussion about our 4yo -- I need to move his Maestro from DH's car to my van for him very soon so that the 1yo can have the 4yo's current seat -- and I'm not sure what to get the 4yo for DH's car. He's not quite 40 pounds, so a booster might not work for him.

Darn!! I didn't even think about that. I'll go look right now.

Okay, I think I'm okay (on that front anyway)....

In Iowa, parents are required to make sure their children are properly restrained in a car seat when riding in a motor vehicle. The law states:

• A child under 1 year old who weighs less than 20 lbs. must be secured in a rear-facing child restraint system.

• A child under 6 years old must be secured in a safety seat or booster seat. A seat belt alone is not appropriate.

• Children ages 6-11 must be secured in a child restraint system or by a safety belt.

If she rides that infrequently in his truck, could you just switch the seat from you car to his? We've never bought double car seats and it has worked for us. Just make sure you both know how to install it safely.:001_smile:

:iagree::iagree:

FWIW, we never had two car seats we just moved them. Yes, it was a pain but it worked out. DD is still in her infant car seat. :lol:

To be honest, I wouldn't put a 37lb 5yo in a booster. Until I could afford another 5 pt harness, I would either move the current seat for the one trip a month, or just not have her travel in the truck. With two younger kids, it seems like you'd get enough use out of the seat to make it worthwhile. Do any friends have a 5pt harness you could borrow for a few months?