Menu

A more realistic child appropriate version of Thanksgiving

I'm looking for a history book that tells a more accurate version of the story of the Pilgrams and Indians but that is suitable for a 6 year old level. Her school is doing a lot on this topic for Thanksgiving but they are doing the cookie cutter version. I want to do more realistic versions but she is only 6 and I don't want to cover it in a graphic way or something that she just isn't ready for yet. Is there anything out there?

I love Squanto: the Miracle of Thanksgiving by Eric Metaxes. It's the factual tale of Squanto's kidnapping, purchase by kind monks in Spain, time with a Christian family in England, journey to his home village only to find everyone dead, his world-changing encounter with the Pilgrims, and the first Thanksgiving -- all with an emphasis on God's sovereign care for Squanto. It's excellent.

I cant remember the name of it, but there was one put out by a historical site up in New England where they do a reenactment of the first thanksgiving, so it was all done with photographs of the reenactors. I think it was older, but it was really cool. i found it in the library.