Menu

Dealing with Chronic Pain - Mentally

I'm just wondering how those who have chronic pain deal with it mentally? I have psoriatic arthritis and I'm having a hard time. I'm in pain a lot of the time. I take pain meds which help some but not completely plus they make me tired. I can hardly take care of my almost two year old lately. I woke up from the pain last night and just cried. Not only crying because it hurt, but also because I know this can get worse. I'm sad for the things I can't do especially with my little guy. Every day is different and I never know if it will be a good day or a bad day. I'm tired.... mentally and physically.

So I'd love some suggestions - thanks,

To me part of the mental difficulties was being able to rest.

I was a complete mess when I was first diagnosed, they tried to prescribe me anti-depressents and they made me feel worse. After that they prescribed me some hydroxyzine to help me sleep and that is what finally gave me enough relief to get through the day.

It does wear you down mentally, but it is still very individual what might give just enough relief. If you are waking up at night a lot it might be a good idea to get something to help you sleep.

Edited by Sis

To me part of the mental difficulties was being able to rest.

I was a complete mess when I was first diagnosed, they tried to prescribe me anti-depressents and they made me feel worse. After that they prescribed me some hydroxyzine to help me sleep and that is what finally gave me enough relief to get through the day.

It does wear you down mentally, but it is still very individual what might give just enough relief. If you are waking up at night a lot it might be a good idea to get something to help you sleep.

I think this might be a key for me. I don't sleep well at night, both because of the 23 month old and me. I know I definitely feel better after a really good night's sleep.

I also think Jean is right, I need to prevent myself from staying in "pity party" mode. Maybe Impish is right and a psychologist might help.

I research remedies all the time but I get very disappointed when they don't help.