Menu

Those of you who do childcare :)

So, my son is 9yrs old and I've thought of some ways to put some money in the pot :) I nannied for quite a while, when I was younger. I also did daycare a bit when my kids were little.

I've decided I am going to try to do daycare now :) This way I can let my son stay out of school and we can still do some fun things together.

I'm not worried about school work; we've got that covered.

I'm wondering what appeals to the families you do care for.... Did you promise great education?? Just watching them? Do you do specific "preschool work" with them? (I'm hoping for kids 2-under kindergarten... or if they just want us to do kindergarten work here)

Of course, my son would probably rather have kids his age to play with, but not school. So... unless I hear of some 9yr olds that need "home education/tutoring" .... hopefully he'll have some younger kids soon.

I've carved out space for "just him" in case he wants to be alone.

I am use to being responsible for "crowds of kids" so I still feel fine taking them a few places were it's easy to keep track of a small group of kids.

I'm planning on only having 3 kids, which is ok without going through the licensing part again. I will update my CPR/First Aid training.

:)

I would set it up in the way that makes YOU the happiest, because there is going to be clientele looking for all of the above. I think you'll find people that want what you offer, no matter what that is. Everybody is looking for something different.....it's just a matter of finding the families that fit well with you/your home.

IME, trying to cater to the families and straying from doing it the way that worked for *me* only made me bitter and resentful. Just my $0.02.

I would set it up in the way that makes YOU the happiest, because there is going to be clientele looking for all of the above. I think you'll find people that want what you offer, no matter what that is. Everybody is looking for something different.....it's just a matter of finding the families that fit well with you/your home.

IME, trying to cater to the families and straying from doing it the way that worked for *me* only made me bitter and resentful. Just my $0.02.

:iagree:

and allow him to choose a couple of belongings that will never be touched by the daycare kids. I wouldn't let my kids play with them in front of the other kids, but it was important that my kids not have to share every single toy they owned, because other kids would break/damage my kids' stuff every time. These can be stored in your room or an accessible closet during the day.

please please please have written contract stating your policies about meals, snacks (whether you provide or they provide), payment, late pickups, early drop offs, cancellation of services, sick days, etc.

Parents should read and sign the whole thing.

Ask for payment in advance.

please please please have written contract stating your policies about meals, snacks (whether you provide or they provide), payment, late pickups, early drop offs, cancellation of services, sick days, etc.

Parents should read and sign the whole thing.

Ask for payment in advance.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I do agree with the above. Would you do a "2 wk in advance thing?" Have you found it better to be paid monthly? Or every two weeks?

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I do agree with the above. Would you do a "2 wk in advance thing?" Have you found it better to be paid monthly? Or every two weeks?

I asked for payment weekly. Seems like everybody around here does a weekly rate, made it easy to compare rates, etc.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Home day care is something I never considered, and it isn't really *necessary* for us, but I've been approached about providing care for two young boys. I have no clue where to start :glare:.

Like was already mentioned....do a LOT of research on contracts. Mine was quite extensive. You want every situation imaginable covered just in case.

I asked for payment weekly. Seems like everybody around here does a weekly rate, made it easy to compare rates, etc.

Like was already mentioned....do a LOT of research on contracts. Mine was quite extensive. You want every situation imaginable covered just in case.

research homeowners insurance and car insurance if you plan on driving the kids anyplace.

Is this approached as a "child care" situation, or simply as a "baby sitting for a friend" situation?

Is this approached as a "child care" situation, or simply as a "baby sitting for a friend" situation?

Well, I ran an in-home daycare, so mine was setup as such, however, I think to save a friendship (in case of a disagreement, etc), I'd still have some sort of contract no matter what.

Well, I ran an in-home daycare, so mine was setup as such, however, I think to save a friendship (in case of a disagreement, etc), I'd still have some sort of contract no matter what.

Thanks for the information! My friend (not a close friend; more an acquaintance) asked and I'd love to help out, but I'm not sure it's feasible... and I'm not sure my husband would agree to it (he seems to think I'm running on low fuel as it is :D).