Menu

We Want Chickens

We are looking into getting chickens. But, I only need two. That is the city ordinance.

The kids do not want to miss out on the chick phase. Getting to incubate eggs would be neat, but I do not want to buy one-time use equipment. Unless someone can convince me that it will be easy to resell, I've decided against it. So the kids have settled on starting out with chicks as being ok.

But, where do I get them? I can order chicks online - in groups of 25. What would I do with the 23 I don't need? If I am understanding the catalogs correctly, I can order pullets, singly. But, then we miss out on the whole chick phase thing.

I am unsure of how to proceed.

You can buy small quantities at local feed stores and the Tractor store. Call around. You may have to wait until spring. Also do your research so you understand what you have to invest in to start up with chickens. Coop, run, brooder setup, waterer and feeder trays, etc.

Good luck!

Also the chicks are usually only a few days old when you get them. I suggest s3x link vs straight run so you don't end up with roosters.

Yes, feed store in the spring. Or Craigslist. You could also order from somewhere that will send you fewer than 25 (My Pet Chicken will do as few as 3, last time I checked, if you're in an urban area so they won't be in the mail too long) and then you just have a couple of extras to sell when they get big enough to go outside (we did this once, and didn't have any trouble selling the extra pullets on Craigslist; plus that way we got to decide which ones we liked the best and keep those).

I know some poultry places will sell smaller numbers of chicks, but they charge an arm and a leg for shipping because they have to be shipped in a special container to keep the babies warm. You could look for a Tractor Supply store and ask when they will have chicks delivered in the spring. You may have to take a bit of a drive, but it may save you some money. The downside is that they usually aren't sexed, so you may end up with roos rather than pullets.

We are in Ohio and I have ordered from a company called http://www.healthychicksandmore.com

We had very good experiences with them and they worked with us to ensure that everything would go well for our chicks and ducklings. They were also capable of doing smaller orders. I don't know if they could ship just two, but you can check.

Depending upon your location, you may be able to find a hatchery in your state, or across a nearby border that would be an easy drive for you.

Try backyardchickens.com for a wealth of information and a great forum (if you haven't stumbled upon them already.)

a local tractor supply or farm supply store normally has chicks in the spring. That would be the best time to get them.

I was wondering about that. I guess I should call and ask if they will have them and if I can just buy a few. I'm guessing more than two chicks is a good plan in case of misfortune... but what if I'm a good mother and they all live... sell the extras I guess?

Or, buy 25. Raise them for about 10 weeks, and then sell them on Craigslist. Many people do not want to do the chick phase, and will appreciate half grown, healthy pullets who are ready to go outside.

Oh, my goodness, I have visions of Lucille Ball being chased around her house by chicks. :)

I wondered about trying to sell the extras at some point, but wasn't truly sure about my ability to get rid of them. Will they really sell?

Yes, feed store in the spring. Or Craigslist. You could also order from somewhere that will send you fewer than 25 (My Pet Chicken will do as few as 3, last time I checked, if you're in an urban area so they won't be in the mail too long) and then you just have a couple of extras to sell when they get big enough to go outside (we did this once, and didn't have any trouble selling the extra pullets on Craigslist; plus that way we got to decide which ones we liked the best and keep those).

Ok, thanks. I will look that up.

Depending upon your location, you may be able to find a hatchery in your state, or across a nearby border that would be an easy drive for you.

Try backyardchickens.com for a wealth of information and a great forum (if you haven't stumbled upon them already.)

I have found BackyardChickens. It looks great. I was wanting to find a hatchery in my area but have been unsuccessful so far. I guess I just need to keep looking. I'm in Illinois.