Menu

I should probably know this...

...but I'm filing it under Gaps in My Own Education. :)

OK - I am getting ready to start a new read-aloud with my oldest, and want to make sure I have the correct books and that I understand the correct order - usually an easy thing to google, but I get lost in the vocabulary since I have never read these, nor seen the movies...

We are going to read JRR Tolkien.

I picked up a book at the library titled The Lord of the Rings that says it's the "complete best-selling classic, now an epic motion picture trilogy." On the spine, it says that this book includes The Fellowship of the Rings, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.

Ok, those 3 are just the movie titles, right?

The actual book title is The Lord of the Rings, and it's just one novel?

And before we read this, we should read The Hobbit, right?

And that's it - just the two books in the series?

Thanks in advance. I also have a companion book on hold to get me through it, if needed. :blushing:

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return if the King

These are the three books, in order, of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Hobbitt was written later and comes before the trilogy. Similar to how Tge Magician's Nephew comes before The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. You can read The Hobbitt first, but I wouldn't recommend it be because it is more difficult to get through and your children may find it difficult to get interested if you start with The Hobbit. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't. And good luck!

...but I'm filing it under Gaps in My Own Education. :)

OK - I am getting ready to start a new read-aloud with my oldest, and want to make sure I have the correct books and that I understand the correct order - usually an easy thing to google, but I get lost in the vocabulary since I have never read these, nor seen the movies...

We are going to read JRR Tolkien.

I picked up a book at the library titled The Lord of the Rings that says it's the "complete best-selling classic, now an epic motion picture trilogy." On the spine, it says that this book includes The Fellowship of the Rings, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.

Ok, those 3 are just the movie titles, right?

No, that's how the three books were originally split up by the publisher for economic reasons. It's actually divided into six books, 2 books in each of the 2 volumes.

The actual book title is The Lord of the Rings, and it's just one novel?

The Lord of the Rings is the title of the complete trilogy. You can sometimes find them available in one book. I have a copy that includes all three volumes (6 books, according to Tolkien) in one book.

And before we read this, we should read The Hobbit, right?

People will disagree. I think The Hobbit is an easier read and it's intended for a younger audience. It is a prequel to the other books.

No, the titles of the movies are the same as that of the books. So, if you're getting the books you would get The Fellowship of the Rings, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. It sounds like you have a compilation book with all three books in one volume. It's probably about 1,000 pages long, right? Collectively, this is The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The Hobbit is separate but comes before The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Just to mess with your head, there's also another book called The Silmarillion, which describes the universe in which The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings take place.

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return if the King

These are the three books, in order, of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Hobbitt was written later and comes before the trilogy. Similar to how Tge Magician's Nephew comes before The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. You can read The Hobbitt first, but I wouldn't recommend it be because it is more difficult to get through and your children may find it difficult to get interested if you start with The Hobbit. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't. And good luck!

Actually the Hobbit was published in 1937, and the first book of LOTR was published in 1954.

Jackie