Menu

Is it possible that she'd be better off with an online VA??

Dmmetler

I'm noticing, more and more, that DD7 seems to prefer to work mostly on her own, and seems to like very independent resources. She's loving Mathletics, her Athena's Academy classes, Mango Languages, Khan Academy, spent hours on Brainpop last week when it was available free, and so on. She loves checking boxes. And while I can't see her being able to handle middle school or high school level classes physically, I suspect she COULD handle them online as long as she could type the output.

I'm really wondering if I should look into the K12 Virtual charter our state offers for next year and if maybe it might actually be a good fit for her?

I think some other online option would be a better choice than a K12 virtual charter. Look into it for sure, but what I've heard from parents of other gifted/accelerated students is that it's incredibly difficult to get accommodations or advancement. Piecing together an education that works for her from different online resources (which sounds kinda like what you're doing right now!) might be a better fit for her. Here's a link to a similar question on another message board that you might find helpful: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/141554/Soliciting_opinions_about_onli.html#Post141554

I'm really wondering if I should look into the K12 Virtual charter our state offers for next year and if maybe it might actually be a good fit for her?

The K-8 arm is separate from the High School arm for the virtual charter. So for math, your daughter might be taking Algebra which is for 8th graders but have nothing beyond that to accelerate to. That might also be state dependent.

They have spanish using Powerspeak. Your daughter might be allowed to test in to the correct level, that would depend on your state charter.

There are people who try for less than a month and quit. So you can try it out and see how it fits your child. However because each state has its own way for operating a K12 virtual charter, you would need to get specific information from that charter.

Florida Virtual School is excellent (and global) and has just implemented their elementary program. I know they have a fabulous ESE department, but I'm not sure how they handle gifted students.

I've actually been wondering the same thing about my 9 year old dd.

How do you like Athena's Academy?

We use EPGY and she likes Brain Pop too.