Menu

SOHCAHTOA - question

I am tutoring GED students in math. I haven't looked at SOHCAHTOA in a while. This one confused me. I would think you would use tangent, not cosine, and the problem would be tan 57 = h/20 leading to h=41.2

When I asked the teacher, she told me she hadn't looked at this in a long while and it wouldn't be on the GED. But, it bugs me.

Someone want to explain it to me?

Thanks!

post-280-13535087804801_thumb.jpg

post-280-13535087804801_thumb.jpg

I am tutoring GED students in math. I haven't looked at SOHCAHTOA in a while. This one confused me. I would think you would use tangent, not cosine, and the problem would be tan 57 = h/20 leading to h=41.2

When I asked the teacher, she told me she hadn't looked at this in a long while and it wouldn't be on the GED. But, it bugs me.

You are completely right, the solution is incorrect.

h/20 should be the tangent.

ETA: The solution is also implausible. If the pole were 10ft high, it would not cast a 20 ft long shadow if the sun stood at almost 60 degrees. If the angle is over 45 degrees, it should be obvious that the shadow must be shorter than the pole.

The teacher's comment really irritates me. Just because it is not on the test, the published solution can be wrong???? Morons.

Edited by regentrude

You are completely right, the solution is incorrect.

h/20 should be the tangent.

Thanks. It's nice to know that I haven't totally lost it yet. ;)

In the teacher's defense, she has 30 students in the class covering 5 subjects. She has a very narrow focus of what they need to learn and what they don't have to bother with until much, much later or never. She wasn't saying that the solution couldn't be wrong. She was saying that we didn't have to spend time on this section because it wasn't important to the task at hand (passing the GED on Wednesday).

In the teacher's defense, she has 30 students in the class covering 5 subjects. She has a very narrow focus of what they need to learn and what they don't have to bother with until much, much later or never. She wasn't saying that the solution couldn't be wrong. She was saying that we didn't have to spend time on this section because it wasn't important to the task at hand (passing the GED on Wednesday).

Now, where did the wrong solution come from? Prep book? Materials used in previous years?