Menu

Virus, Cold, Flu? What does my child have?

My oldest daughter (almost 13 yrs old - autistic and non-verbal) is sick. Monday night she had a fever. We kept her home Tuesday and she was hot. Forehead temp never went above 101, but she felt much hotter than what she was temping. There was no diarrhea, coughing, sneezing, vomiting, etc. Just hot. I suspected her throat was sore because when she did make noises (echolalia or whatnot) she was hoarse.

I took her to the doctor on Wednesday after I realized her fever was not getting better (even with ibuprofen). He diagnosed a virus but said if she got worse, it might be a sinus infection and prescribed antibiotics to fill ONLY if she didn't improve.

That night, she developed a cough. Thursday she became congested and the cough became worse.

Today, she has a deep, hacking cough, she's congested (I can tell because she doesn't like to drink a lot when her nose is stuffy - she takes lots of small sips). She's still feverish (but not as bad as before) and she won't eat.

I filled the prescription but was wondering if I should call the doctor back? He mentioned something about certain viruses that started with a fever and THEN developed into something more with coughing (but I can't recall if I was supposed to call him if that was the case).

Any thoughts? Because she can't talk, we're extra-cautious about her health. This started Monday night and today is probably her worst day.

PS - she did get the nasal flu vaccine several weeks ago and her strep test came back negative. She also had adenoids and tonsils out this summer and currently has no ear infection.

There is always the possibility she began with one virus and before she was on the mend, picked up a different one. When the immune system is depressed, viruses will take the opportunity to gain a foothold. I would pay close attention to how she is acting and keep her comfortable. The antibiotics will help if her cough is related to bronchitis or a sinus infection. Otherwise, I think I would just watch and wait for a few days.

Maybe call and see how long is long enough to wait with a fever. My guess is that it is viral, since it started as a fever and sore throat, then moved into her chest. That's the order viruses go with me anyway! Usually a secondary infection is when she appears to be getting better, than BAM high fever comes back with new symptoms (ex: trouble breathing.) My main concern would be her getting dehydrated since she isn't eating. Is her mouth dry? Not urinating enough, or dark? Tears when she cries? Fevers can sap her stores of fluids. I think IV fluids may be needed if she still has the fever and one of those signs. It doesn't hurt to call, that's why they are there. Hopefully they are helpful!

In my area there is this awful Everything Cold going around. It starts with a fever and a tickly throat, then head/chest congestion sets in. Dd (15) developed a double ear infection from it. DS (12) couldn't shake it, and after 2 weeks with a lw grade fever, they doubled his prednisone (he takes 20 mg daily anyway) and gave him an antibiotic. That FINALLY knocked it out of him, but with BOTH kids this awful cough lingered long after they felt better.