Menu

Highly Sensitive Child/Adult

Does anyone have a child like this? I've long suspected it of my son who is 12....but I read over the list for adults the other day and was SHOCKED to have an overwhelming number of traits myself.

When I talked to my mom about it she said she always knew all of those facts about me (don't like loud noise, chaotic situations, messy houses, I need alone time, I deeply feel music and art) and she knew they were traits SHE doesn't have herself...and she just parented me as best she knew how. Because well, I'm 47 and that label wasn't available when I was a child...:tongue_smilie:

I've parented my son based upon seeing that he is much like me....he has been seen by professionals and they agree with my view of him. But even though I have always known he is a lot like me and that he is a highly sensitive child...someone I didn't connect the dots that *I* am too.

Anyone else figure out as an adult that they are highly sensitive? It has really made me understand many things about myself.

Not highly sensitive, but my son's autism diagnosis opened my eyes to the fact that I'd be easily diagnosed. It explains so much of the struggles in our marriage and my husband's complaints that I just did not understand. Not only has it shown me what I need to be conscious of and work on, DH can see, through ODS, that the way I act isn't a reflection of my feelings for him. Dealing with ODS has helped us both deal with who *I* am.

Not highly sensitive, but my son's autism diagnosis opened my eyes to the fact that I'd be easily diagnosed. It explains so much of the struggles in our marriage and my husband's complaints that I just did not understand. Not only has it shown me what I need to be conscious of and work on, DH can see, through ODS, that the way I act isn't a reflection of my feelings for him. Dealing with ODS has helped us both deal with who *I* am.

What is ODS?

My 8yo was born this way and continued to be this way until we changed a lot of things food and nutrition-wise. She can handle a lot more now and while she's still very spiritually sensitive and loving to people I feel she's gotten a lot tougher in good ways. I've done a lot of work on her adrenals and she still takes an adrenal support supplement. My adrenals were very weak when pregnant with her and I think impacted her some. Still, I wouldn't give up her sensitive side for anything. It is a rare gift in today's age, and I believe will go a long way to making her the artist she wants to be.

My 8yo was born this way and continued to be this way until we changed a lot of things food and nutrition-wise. She can handle a lot more now and while she's still very spiritually sensitive and loving to people I feel she's gotten a lot tougher in good ways. I've done a lot of work on her adrenals and she still takes an adrenal support supplement. My adrenals were very weak when pregnant with her and I think impacted her some. Still, I wouldn't give up her sensitive side for anything. It is a rare gift in today's age, and I believe will go a long way to making her the artist she wants to be.

My mom, who is not HS, pointed out it is a personality characteristic, not a defect. ;)

It is hard though to have a HSC because they are often perceived as 'wimpy'...especially hard for a boy to have this reputation. So we do work on being able to function in the world. But I too love his sensitive side which I think is related to his intelligence...but clearly not with me because I was never smart like he is.

See the thread about humming. I am definitely like that. I just wish I knew what to do about some of the things.

You just arrange your life in a way that helps mimimize all the things that affect you. I know it is hard to do with 4 kids...but sometimes I tell ds12 he just has to be quiet for a while. :tongue_smilie:

And he has learned that he doesn't enjoy a football game because of the noise. He does however, love the tailgating before hand and it is one of the few things he and his dad enjoy together so his solution is to wear earplugs during the game. Works well for him.