Menu

COMPASS for CC-need advice

HI, My daughter is going to be taking the COMPASS soon at the CC so she can take a class in the spring. Is there any advice, good study material ? She just prepped for the PSAT --are these tests at all similiar?

Thanks for ANY information-this is my first!!

pam

The COMPASS is written by the ACT folks. I had both ACT and SAT prep materials at home so I had my son use the ACT materials. The COMPASS uses adaptive testing on the computer, so the questions a student gets presented with next depend on how they answer the previous questions. It is untimed and each time the student may get a different number of questions. Each section is relatively short, however, in comparison to the paper based PSAT, SAT, and ACT tests.

If you student has just done the PSAT, I agree that she's probably already reasonably well prepared for the COMPASS.

Be forewarned that it can take a very long time. Most of the test is untimed (although there are timed portions). My oldest completed the test in 1.5 hours, so I didn't think anything about signing my middle dd up for the 6pm timeslot. My middle dd took 4 hours to complete the test and was a complete basket case afterwards because she had only eaten a snack beforehand. We usually eat dinner around 8:30 or 9.

I recommend taking it in the morning and making sure to eat a good breakfast beforehand. If you can take it in parts, that would be fabulous, but you usually have to take the entire thing in one go the first time.

My daughter took this and didn't do well on the math section. It starts out with pre-algebra, and she blanked out and couldn't remember how to do percents, so she never got to the algebra and geometry portions, which were much more fresh in her mind. So review the basics, because that is where it starts.