Menu

Anyone use the Kidspiration software for writing?

Ds loves the concept of the MCT writing assignments but sometimes get stuck on getting his ideas out in the right order. He frequently story boards his writing himself by hand, but it takes a long time. I'm thinking of getting him the Kidspiration software to help him map out his stories before he writes/types them.

Has anyone had good experiences with Kidspiration? Would we be able to figure out how to use it without all the rest of Verticy? Is it fairly self-explanatory?

I just downloaded the trial myself, for pretty much the same reasons (not MCT, but other writing assignments). Kidspiration ought to be a good solution, I'm thinking, as I know from experience working for the company (so take this with a grain of salt) that it's used very successfully by lots of kids for organizing thoughts visually and then working from the generated outline. I'm going to start my very own test case with my (dysgraphic, ADHD, gifted) 9yo this week, so I guess I'll see for myself.

Short answer - download the 30 day free trial and try it. If it doesn't work, no money spent. If it does work, yippee! And PM me if you have questions about getting started; I did work as their tech support person for a long time, so I still have a bunch of the answers in my head still.

A most important part of Kidspiration, are the tutorials on how to use it.

Where their are numerous different mind-mapping programs. But the key is with understanding how it can actually be used.

The 30 day free trial gives you the opportunity to find out if it will be helpful.

I love Kidspiration/ Inspiration. I certainly learned to use it very well from Verticy. Ds uses it for every single writing project. The Inspiration website is a wealth of tutorials and ideas...so much so that I never fully explored it.

Perhaps download the 30 day trial, explore the website and see what is holding you up, and then look for more info. There are plenty of books about Visual Tools, etc...

I am not a huge of a fan of the iPad bc the beauty of Inspiration is that your web is flipped to an outline that you can immediately start word processing from (with an embedded graphic of your web to serve as a visual reminder).