Menu

8 year old girl, WWE 2/3 & History Narrations - 4th Grade

shehmeth

Hi,

I would like some advice.

I have samples of my daughter's work below (narrations) - 2 from history and 2 from Writing. She's 8 years old (almost 9 - just at the very end of the year). Grade: 4th grade. I'm looking for input on her narration work. We're working on Narrative Summaries (WWE 2).

I have her write down her own narrations, without the intermediate step of my copying them down for her. However, I do have her to tell them to me first aloud. Sometimes she wants to include too many details, and at other times she's too quick and wants to move on and so then her narrations lack sufficient detail. So, I have her say it aloud, and we discuss if is too long, just enough or if it has enough detail.

I guess, I'm looking for reassurance if this is normal writing for her age or guidance if we're totally off. When she makes errors in her writing we discuss the errors and review the corresponding rule.

-- I'm copying exactly as she wrote them (including any typos, misspelled words, etc):

I. From History:

a) SOTW 3, Chapter 9 - The Thirty Years War:

The Thirty Year War started when King Ferdinand II told his german princes to be Catholics. This led to the Defenestration of Prague. The War ended with the Peace of Westphalia.

b) SOTW 3, Chapter 6 - New Colonies sin the New World:

The Dutch were green with envy at the French, British, and Spanish colonies. Thy wanted their own colony too. The Dutch West India Company was to make colonies for the Dutch. After Peter Stuyvesant became governor the British took over and renamed New Amsterdam to New York.

II. From Writing (WWE)

a) Week 24 WWE2 - Oral narration & Dictation

Louisa got some food for her friends because they were poor and hungry. Her cousin got mad, and sent her to the attic. Louisa thought it was alright, but she didn't realized that she did not ask for permission.

a) Week 25 WWE2 - Narration

The Elephant's Child wen to the Limpopo River to find our what the Crocodile ate for dinner. The Crocodile turned the Elephant's Child's nose into a truck by pulling it. Then being nice to his nose he wrapped it in banana leaves and ploppet it in the River.

Thanks,

Kate

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I would like some advice.

I have samples of my daughter's work below (narrations) - 2 from history and 2 from Writing. She's 8 years old (almost 9 - just at the very end of the year). Grade: 4th grade. I'm looking for input on her narration work. We're working on Narrative Summaries (WWE 2).

I have her write down her own narrations, without the intermediate step of my copying them down for her. However, I do have her to tell them to me first aloud. Sometimes she wants to include too many details, and at other times she's too quick and wants to move on and so then her narrations lack sufficient detail. So, I have her say it aloud, and we discuss if is too long, just enough or if it has enough detail.

I guess, I'm looking for reassurance if this is normal writing for her age or guidance if we're totally off. When she makes errors in her writing we discuss the errors and review the corresponding rule.

-- I'm copying exactly as she wrote them (including any typos, misspelled words, etc):

I. From History:

a) SOTW 3, Chapter 9 - The Thirty Years War:

The Thirty Year War started when King Ferdinand II told his german princes to be Catholics. This led to the Defenestration of Prague. The War ended with the Peace of Westphalia.

B) SOTW 3, Chapter 6 - New Colonies sin the New World:

The Dutch were green with envy at the French, British, and Spanish colonies. Thy wanted their own colony too. The Dutch West India Company was to make colonies for the Dutch. After Peter Stuyvesant became governor the British took over and renamed New Amsterdam to New York.

My question would be would she know what this means? Both the history, mostly the top one, sounds more word for word from text, than her understanding of the topic, especially when I compare the two: history vs. Writing.

I think the narrations a very good. She seems to have a good understanding of how to write a complete sentence, uses good vocabulary, adds correct punctuation and apostrophes and includes the high lights. As a pp said, at this point you can begin working on sentence combining. As far as spelling, even though there are a couple mistakes, a few look like they were as a result of rushing (our instead of out), and even adults make spelling mistakes.

HTH